Old 17-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Registered User

Location: Yorkshire
Default Privet - Dead Or Alive?

Hello,

I have a seven year old privet hedge, which has previously grown well, and in every winter save for this last one has held on to most of its leaves. This year it lost every leaf, and although about half of the plants are sprouting replacements quite nicely, the remainder is still without any foliage or green buds at all. I've cut into a number of branches, but instead of being nice and green immediately under the bark like the healthy ones are, they're brown instead. The same branches are, though, light green in colour at their very centres.

I've kept the hedge well watered over the past month or so, and given it a feed, but I would have expected all the plants to be springing back into leaf by now, especially with all of the warm weather. Does it sound as though many of them are dead (or possibly well on their way there)? If not, how long before they should start showing some sign of new growth? Also, would it be a good idea to cut them back hard now?

Many thanks for any advice.
Old 17-04-2011, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 18:29:53 +0000, pelham1975
wrote:

[...]

How do you get along with the neighbor on the other side of the hedge?
Old 18-04-2011, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

"pelham1975" wrote

I have a seven year old privet hedge, which has previously grown well,
and in every winter save for this last one has held on to most of its
leaves. This year it lost every leaf, and although about half of the
plants are sprouting replacements quite nicely, the remainder is still
without any foliage or green buds at all. I've cut into a number of
branches, but instead of being nice and green immediately under the bark
like the healthy ones are, they're brown instead. The same branches are,
though, light green in colour at their very centres.

Hi Pelham, did you have a particularily hard winter where you are as so many
in the USA did along the east coast? If so, you may have lost a few of them
but the pale green at the center leads to hope. You are going the right
things. I'd wait a bit longer before replacing them and do some good
trimming of any wood that seems still 'brittle'. In 2-3 weeks if you dont
see growth, take out the dead ones and plant new.

[IMG] code is On

Privet causing a "dead line"? Michael Bell United Kingdom 25 28-07-2008 11:23 PM
My Rosa Rugosa Albas- dead or alive? VX United Kingdom 3 24-04-2005 01:48 AM
** Queen Palms / 2 dead, 2 dying, 2 alive / Ganoderma / Fungi ?? ** [email protected] Gardening 2 17-03-2005 11:36 AM
roots: dead or alive Larry Orchids 1 19-01-2005 04:49 AM
Is this lotus dead or alive? UTVOLVET84 Ponds 5 28-05-2004 02:05 PM