Old 23-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Registered User

Default starting off seeds

A couple of year ago Ibought these round pads with a little indentation in the middle where you put the seed and water it

It then expands and encapsulates the seed and it grows from there

any ideas whet they are called and or where i can obtain them from now as the large diy store no longer sells them

cheear man
Old 23-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin_weed View Post
A couple of year ago Ibought these round pads with a little indentation in the middle where you put the seed and water it

It then expands and encapsulates the seed and it grows from there

any ideas whet they are called and or where i can obtain them from now as the large diy store no longer sells them

cheear man
Jiffy 7 Peat Pellets is what they are called.
Old 23-04-2011, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 23, 2:32*am, Owdboggy
wrote:
smokin_weed;918672 Wrote:

A couple of year ago Ibought these round pads with a little indentation
in the middle where you put the seed and water it

It then expands and encapsulates the seed and it grows from there

any ideas whet they are called and or where i can obtain them from now
as the large diy store no longer sells them

cheear man

Jiffy 7 Peat Pellets is what they are called.

Probably find them at any plant nursery.

Did you get good results from them? Better than just planting seed in
ground? Straight question.

HB

--
Owdboggy

Old 23-04-2011, 10:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

I use the peat pellets every year along with a heating germination pad.
The results are very good. I never tried starting the seeds in potting
or regular garden soil. I get my peat pellets from my local hardware
store or Amazon.

Rich

Old 23-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin_weed View Post
A couple of year ago Ibought these round pads with a little indentation in the middle where you put the seed and water it

It then expands and encapsulates the seed and it grows from there

any ideas whet they are called and or where i can obtain them from now as the large diy store no longer sells them

cheear man
Yes, Jiffy 7's and you might find you get better result by soaking them first until they expand and THEN sow the seed.
just a thought, Lannerman

Old 24-04-2011, 09:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 23, 2:01*pm, (EVP MAN) wrote:
I use the peat pellets every year along with a heating germination pad.
The results are very good. *I never tried starting the seeds in potting
or regular garden soil. *I get my peat pellets from my local hardware
store or Amazon.

Rich

So would these be recommended more for colder areas with later
Springs? I am in a mild Mediterranean climate, and usually sow right
in the ground, or in those 6-compartment plastic trays that plants
come in at the nursery.

HB

Old 24-04-2011, 02:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

I would start my seeds in the garden if I could but we do have a shorter
growing season than you. I start my plants indoors about 6-8 weeks
before our last frost date. My plants get set in the garden May 15 but
we can still have a few nights of frost. I keep a close eye on the
weather and cover my plants if there is any threat of a frost.

Rich

[IMG] code is On

Starting off a planted tank -- starting one (or maybe) two strikes down.... [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 09-11-2005 01:31 AM
Starting off courgettes David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 6 29-04-2004 07:07 PM
starting off a Greenhouse IKowalc195 United Kingdom 0 16-02-2004 04:32 PM
[IBC] starting off Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 24-02-2003 01:51 PM
starting off RiNg MaStEr Bonsai 0 24-02-2003 04:51 AM