Old 27-04-2011, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default 'Marconi' Shasta Daisies

I have been searching for 'Marconi' shasta daisies. None of the
nurseries in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles or in Ventura County
seem to carry them.

I did a Google search on "marconi 'shasta dais'" CA OR Calif OR
California". I got many results, but none of them offer 'Marconi' for
sale.

Are these no longer being grown commercially?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 27-04-2011, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
I have been searching for 'Marconi' shasta daisies. None of the
nurseries in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles or in Ventura County
seem to carry them.

I did a Google search on "marconi 'shasta dais'" CA OR Calif OR
California". I got many results, but none of them offer 'Marconi' for
sale.

Are these no longer being grown commercially?

http://www.bohnsfarm.com/index.cfm/f...3319/index.htm

http://lburbank.users.sonic.net/about-us/shasta-daisy

seems to indicate they are being grown
commercially. the second link has marconi
specified under the "mail order plants" section.

songbird
Old 27-04-2011, 04:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

songbird wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
I have been searching for 'Marconi' shasta daisies. None of the
nurseries in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles or in Ventura County
seem to carry them.

I did a Google search on "marconi 'shasta dais'" CA OR Calif OR
California". I got many results, but none of them offer 'Marconi' for
sale.

Are these no longer being grown commercially?

http://www.bohnsfarm.com/index.cfm/f...3319/index.htm

http://lburbank.users.sonic.net/about-us/shasta-daisy

seems to indicate they are being grown
commercially. the second link has marconi
specified under the "mail order plants" section.

songbird

They have them here in Michigan. Could it be they are recommended for zones
5-8. Perhaps your nurseries are in a a different hardiness zone and will
not carry them.

Old 27-04-2011, 04:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/26/11 7:35 PM, songbird wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
I have been searching for 'Marconi' shasta daisies. None of the
nurseries in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles or in Ventura County
seem to carry them.

I did a Google search on "marconi 'shasta dais'" CA OR Calif OR
California". I got many results, but none of them offer 'Marconi' for
sale.

Are these no longer being grown commercially?

http://www.bohnsfarm.com/index.cfm/f...3319/index.htm

This was one of the Google results I already saw. Unfortunately, Bohn's
Farm and Greenhouses deals only wholesale.

http://lburbank.users.sonic.net/about-us/shasta-daisy

This is another Google result I already saw. Links to sources are not
valid. Swallowtail Garden Seeds does not have 'Marconi'. Sugar Creek
Gardens Web site says they do not ship. The others list varieties that
are not 'Marconi'.

Old 27-04-2011, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/26/11 8:05 PM, Nad R wrote:
songbird wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
I have been searching for 'Marconi' shasta daisies. None of the
nurseries in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles or in Ventura County
seem to carry them.

I did a Google search on "marconi 'shasta dais'" CA OR Calif OR
California". I got many results, but none of them offer 'Marconi' for
sale.

Are these no longer being grown commercially?

http://www.bohnsfarm.com/index.cfm/f...3319/index.htm

http://lburbank.users.sonic.net/about-us/shasta-daisy

seems to indicate they are being grown
commercially. the second link has marconi
specified under the "mail order plants" section.

songbird

They have them here in Michigan. Could it be they are recommended for zones
5-8. Perhaps your nurseries are in a a different hardiness zone and will
not carry them.

Sunset indicates they would do quite well in my climate. In fact,
Sunset indicates they are suitable from Fairbanks, Alaska, to San Diego,
California.

I already have 'Esther Reed' growing (and already showing flower buds).
But 'Esther Reed' is low-growing and suitable for the front of a bed.
I want to back it up with the taller 'Marconi'.

Old 27-04-2011, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
songbird wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
I have been searching for 'Marconi' shasta daisies. None of the
nurseries in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles or in Ventura County
seem to carry them.

I did a Google search on "marconi 'shasta dais'" CA OR Calif OR
California". I got many results, but none of them offer 'Marconi' for
sale.

Are these no longer being grown commercially?

http://www.bohnsfarm.com/index.cfm/f...3319/index.htm

This was one of the Google results I already saw. Unfortunately, Bohn's
Farm and Greenhouses deals only wholesale.

ah, sorry, i didn't go beyond "commercial" for
that one. any chance you can call them and ask
if they supply a local greenhouse?

http://lburbank.users.sonic.net/about-us/shasta-daisy

This is another Google result I already saw. Links to sources are not
valid. Swallowtail Garden Seeds does not have 'Marconi'. Sugar Creek
Gardens Web site says they do not ship. The others list varieties that
are not 'Marconi'.

strange they would have it under the "mail order
plants" section and not ship.

none of the other shasta daisy varieties
will do? are they that different?

other ideas:

a seed saver someplace might have
them and be willing to swap or send.

as a long shot, can you find them
via a florist and then root them using
rooting compound? yeah, ok, a really long
shot, but sometimes multiple sectioning
stems and rooting them can get a viable
plant.