Old 15-05-2011, 04:49 PM
kathateria's Avatar
Registered User

Default Poisonous plants

I have just put in a wildlife pond,and I am looking at a blank area of soil behind it.Are there any shrubs that will look nice,as a back drop to a pond? Something that wont shed too much,and that the flowers are safe for frogs and any other creatures that want a drink.Thanks
Buddlia perhaps? Open to suggestions.
Old 15-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathateria View Post
I have just put in a wildlife pond,and I am looking at a blank area of soil behind it.Are there any shrubs that will look nice,as a back drop to a pond? Something that wont shed too much,and that the flowers are safe for frogs and any other creatures that want a drink.Thanks
Buddlia perhaps? Open to suggestions.
Hi Kathateria, Personally, I would be inclined to plant something that is evergreen, otherwise you risk the autumn leaves falling in the pond which can cause problems as they break down in the water using valuable oxygen in doing so. Also, something evergreen will surely look more pleasing over a longer period ? As to what you use, I think thats a matter of personal preference ? but avoid anything that drops lots of leaves or petals ie, Camellia
Lannerman
Old 15-05-2011, 10:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 15 May 2011 20:47:16 +0000, lannerman
wrote:

kathateria;921517 Wrote:
I have just put in a wildlife pond,and I am looking at a blank area of
soil behind it.Are there any shrubs that will look nice,as a back drop
to a pond? Something that wont shed too much,and that the flowers are
safe for frogs and any other creatures that want a drink.Thanks
Buddlia perhaps? Open to suggestions.

Hi Kathateria, Personally, I would be inclined to plant something that
is evergreen, otherwise you risk the autumn leaves falling in the pond
which can cause problems as they break down in the water using valuable
oxygen in doing so. Also, something evergreen will surely look more
pleasing over a longer period ? As to what you use, I think thats a
matter of personal preference ? but avoid anything that drops lots of
leaves or petals ie, Camellia

Evergreens lose just as much foilage as diciduous plants and even
more, just that it's continuously replaced. To harbor wildlife that
lives around ponds I'd plant cattails, ferns, grasses, and various
wildflowers that attract butterflies. It's difficult to make specific
recommendations without at least seeing a picture of this so-called
"pond" (it's size and surroundings), which is probably really a pool.
Old 15-05-2011, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 15 May 2011 15:49:01 +0000, kathateria
wrote:

I have just put in a wildlife pond,and I am looking at a blank area of
soil behind it.Are there any shrubs that will look nice,as a back drop
to a pond? Something that wont shed too much,and that the flowers are
safe for frogs and any other creatures that want a drink.Thanks
Buddlia perhaps? Open to suggestions.

Not knowing what your soil, climate or aspect are it is very hard to
say.

David
Old 16-05-2011, 08:33 AM
kathateria's Avatar
Registered User

Thanks all for the replies.
Our soil is acidic, and quite hard,although I have put alot of compost down around the the pond,to mix it up!
an area of about 2 foot wide and 1 foot wide.
It is close to a fence,and behind a shed and composter,but it gets hot in the summer. No sun on it until about 12pm in the day.
From the picture, the bush/plant/shrub will be about a foot from the composter and 1.5 foot from the pond.
Attached Thumbnails
Poisonous plants-pond-today-011.jpg

[IMG] code is On

poisonous plants [email protected] United Kingdom 6 08-05-2006 09:44 AM
list of poisonous plants H Ryder United Kingdom 43 30-04-2006 07:56 PM
poisonous plants & seeds Hal Ponds 2 23-01-2005 11:39 PM
Poisonous (?) plants [email protected] Gardening 0 22-01-2005 12:28 AM
Poisonous plants Sacha United Kingdom 48 18-04-2004 05:24 AM