Old 26-05-2011, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rain rain go away

Rain Rain go away
Come back another day
Nad wants to play in his garden

Three days of rain coming.... Argggggg....

Old 26-05-2011, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 05/25/2011 07:10 PM, Nad R wrote:
Rain Rain go away
Come back another day
Nad wants to play in his garden

Three days of rain coming.... Argggggg....

We can use some rain in west Texas. The only rain we've
had in a year was May 11, 2011. It finally brought some
relief. Temperatures dropped from 98 deg every day to mid
70's then 80's for about ten days. Now it's back into the
90's again. Everything is dried out so bad fires are
burning everywhere.

We have to water the garden and trees everyday, but the
garden is thriving. Squash, green beans, beats, turnips,
tomato, okra are growing good. Thats all thats up so far.

I'd trade you locations, but I doubt you could stand it
here. New neighbors are building a house down the road
and the wind blew so hard yesterday it blew off the
rafters that were up.

I'll pray for you're rain to stop and you can pray for
us to get some here.

--
Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 26-05-2011, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

Nad R wrote:

Rain Rain go away
Come back another day
Nad wants to play in his garden

Three days of rain coming.... Argggggg....

yeah, looks like you got the worser of it
today. we did get some rain (further north
and west of you).

Tuesday was a nice day out, i managed to
get a lot done. the strawberry patch is all
set, the everbearing plants are now in (for
variety), the beans are all planted on the
tulip hill and around the perimeter (to keep
the strawberries from running inwards -- this
worked well last year). it looks like a nice
crop if i can get the berries to harvest time.

i was hoping to get out today to get one
garden ready and planted. the forecast said
rain after 3pm -- rain started about 11am. ha!

four bins from the worm farm are ready to
go to their gardens. only two gardens are
ready. cool rainy weather will be perfect for
that sort of garden tinkering. probably messy
too, but hey, we like a good mud pie.

yesterday was also the first run of making
charcoal. not sure i will do it again. too
hard on my lungs if there's any drifts of
smoke. still was interesting and fun. i've
always liked fires. a little more study and
perhaps some engineering and tinkering eventually.
we shall see...

how's moomoo?

songbird
Old 26-05-2011, 04:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Mysterious Traveler wrote:
[...]

Yes, I hope it rains for you and not here... For a week or two. In the last
thirty days it has rained for at least 20 of those days. I will not be
planting this Memorial weekend which is typically in Michigan the big
garden weekend kickoff.

I do like where I live... If only the weather would return to normal.

Old 26-05-2011, 06:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Mysterious Traveler wrote:
[...]

Rain today. Possible rain on Friday. Possible rain next week. We are
running 10 to 15 degrees below average for the last month. Beginning to
look like another cool summer :O(

At least the lettuce is at critical mass, and producing daily salads.

"Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get"
- Mark Twain
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/

Old 26-05-2011, 10:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

songbird wrote:
Nad R wrote:

[...]

Bessy is due date is today. Fresh milk in a few more weeks... If thing go
well.

Making your own charcoal... There is something I have not thought off...
Another dangerous thought. I remember the history channel had a show on how
to make charcoal a long time ago.

Old 26-05-2011, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Nad R wrote:
songbird wrote:

yesterday was also the first run of making
charcoal. not sure i will do it again. too
hard on my lungs if there's any drifts of
smoke. still was interesting and fun. i've
always liked fires. a little more study and
perhaps some engineering and tinkering eventually.
we shall see...

how's moomoo?

Bessy is due date is today. Fresh milk in a few more weeks... If thing go
well.

walking on pins and needles?

Making your own charcoal... There is something I have not thought off...
Another dangerous thought. I remember the history channel had a show on how
to make charcoal a long time ago.

sometimes i just try things to see what
happens. i figured i could do it by
deepening part of a trench i'd already dug
last year (about 32 cu ft), piling in the dry
easy burning stuff on the bottom, smashing it
all down, and then stacking the bigger stuff
on top, smashing that down, then on top of it
all i put some wet cardboard and clay/dirt.

by the time it was all together i'd say it
was about 60% air. left the ends open to get
some air in there and lit it up at one end.
the winds were constantly shifting, so i lit
the other end too.

i walked miles with the smoke following me
around. a good comedy time-lapse video...
tinkering to keep it going and from completely
caving in. taking dirt off the top, moving
the big pieces to get them charred all the
way through. getting the wet cardboard pieces
dried out and then charred...

i probably got a few cubic feet from it
all when done. can't tell for sure, it's
all under water now. can't wait for it to
dry enough to dig it up and look underneath
and around. i wonder if any of the clay
in the soil was able to get hot enough to
fire. that along with the charcoal would
be a nice addition to the texture of the
soil. i'll be able to test it all out this
year because i'll be growing five stripes
of different plants through it.

can't wait to get back out there.
going to have to get a canoe and plant
rice this year the way it's going now.
rain, rain and more rain.

songbird
Old 26-05-2011, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

songbird wrote:
Nad R wrote:
Bessy is due date is today. Fresh milk in a few more weeks... If thing go
well.

walking on pins and needles?

Not me, however bessy is. She is large and bit agitated.

can't wait to get back out there.
going to have to get a canoe and plant
rice this year the way it's going now.
rain, rain and more rain.

Still raining here now. The rain has been relentless. The ten day forecast
has very little rain and I will need that time for everything to dry out. I
believe it is a record rainfall here in Michigan for The month of May.

Old 29-05-2011, 06:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Nad R wrote:
songbird wrote:
Nad R wrote:
Bessy is due date is today. Fresh milk in a few more weeks... If thing go
well.

walking on pins and needles?

Not me, however bessy is. She is large and bit agitated.

heh.

can't wait to get back out there.
going to have to get a canoe and plant
rice this year the way it's going now.
rain, rain and more rain.

Still raining here now. The rain has been relentless. The ten day forecast
has very little rain and I will need that time for everything to dry out. I
believe it is a record rainfall here in Michigan for The month of May.

yeah, it sure seems like it. the neighboring
field is underwater for the fourth time this
spring and more rain forecast for Sunday. i am
hoping it misses us. i'd like to get to some
sunshine on Monday with no more rain so the plants
we finished planting today can perk up a little.
they're looking a bit pale and spotty.

songbird
Old 29-05-2011, 11:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

songbird wrote:
Nad R wrote:
songbird wrote:
Nad R wrote:
[...]

Rained last night, isolated showers today. My grass is very tall. The
drainage ditches are full. The fields are saturated and this dry spell is
needed. My plants are still in pots ready for transplanting. However,
ninety percent of what I plant will be seeds directly in the ground.

Bessy is past her due date, so no calf yet.

Old 29-05-2011, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Nad R wrote:
Rained last night, isolated showers today.

i might need some water wings afterall.
storm heading right for us now and looks
like a good line of strong downpours will
go right through us the long way. i sure
hope they fade a bit before they get here.

i went out and covered up the new
plantings, and then made sure the
strawberries had some cover too.

My grass is very tall. The
drainage ditches are full. The fields are saturated and this dry spell is
needed. My plants are still in pots ready for transplanting. However,
ninety percent of what I plant will be seeds directly in the ground.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?p...d=dtx&loop=yes

this is going to be _interesting_ our ditches
are pretty full too.

Bessy is past her due date, so no calf yet.

i sure hope she waits until at least tomorrow
morning now!

songbird
Old 29-05-2011, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

songbird wrote:
Nad R wrote:
[...]

Yep, my weather alert app just went off.
I see the radar, rain rain please go away. The storm should be here in
about two hours. So this makes what, fifty four days of rain, not
continuos of course.

I have nothing planted yet. However between the rains the flower and garden
beds have been prepared and ready to go. Tomorrow will be a family get
together.

Old 29-05-2011, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 29, 4:53*pm, Nad R wrote:
songbird wrote:
Nad R wrote:
[...]

Enjoy Life... Nad R *(Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

Went from one extreme to the other here in NYC. Rain, 55 degrees, fog
last week.

Yesterday and today, 80+. Tomorrow and Tuesday, 90+.

Chris