Old 26-05-2011, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Black and Decker 18 Volt cordless string trimmer

I read the reviews about this trimmer on Amazon.com and found that even
though the trimmer was considered good the batteries weren't.

I have this trimmer and I like it very much, but the batteries are a pain.
They will not hold a charge any longer, and had very little power after the
first season of use.

I have found that if I put a battery in the trimmer, lock the on/off switch
on
and allow the machine to run until the battery is completely drained, then
give the battery a quick charge (2 hours) the machine works almost as good
as it did the first season.

However, for the best results the machine needs be used as soon after
charging the battery as possible

Freckles

Old 26-05-2011, 01:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Freckles" wrote:

I read the reviews about this trimmer on Amazon.com and found that even
though the trimmer was considered good the batteries weren't.

I have this trimmer and I like it very much, but the batteries are a pain.
They will not hold a charge any longer, and had very little power after the
first season of use.

I have found that if I put a battery in the trimmer, lock the on/off switch
on
and allow the machine to run until the battery is completely drained, then
give the battery a quick charge (2 hours) the machine works almost as good
as it did the first season.

However, for the best results the machine needs be used as soon after
charging the battery as possible

Cordless rechargable garden tools typically last only one or two
seasons, their batteries deteriorate rapidly, especially during the
off season during storage. Many such cordless rechargeble products
are also made so that their rechargeble batteries can't be replaced
with off the shelf rechargables by the consumer, if sent in to the
manufacturer's service center it'll cost more for their special
battery pack replacement than to buy a whole new tool. And even when
these tools do operate they do so for a very short duration between
charges... you really need to own two complete units because there are
no extra battery packs available like with cordless drills. You'd be
far happier with a 2 cycle gas string trimmer. In my opinion Echo
makes the best. Always buy these motorized tools from a certified
dealer who services what they sell on premises.
Old 26-05-2011, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/26/2011 8:18 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
"Freckles" wrote:

[...]

I agree. I got about 5 years out of a trimmer and hedge trimmer combo
that only cost $100 to find that battery replacements were $50 each. I
hated to throw away the perfectly good tools. I have the more powerful
gas and corded tools but the light duty battery ones were things the
wife could handle.
Old 26-05-2011, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
"Freckles" wrote:

[...]

I am now well into the third season with the batteries that came with my
trimmer.

Since I drained and recharged the batteries, The trimmer is working as good
as it did on day one.

I have had other cordless lawn tools and have used the drain and recharge
method on them and they lasted for years. I'm expect the same from this
cordless trimmer.

I have had a number of gasoline trimmers, including a very expensive
professional grade Echo. I used it for two years then gave it to my
son-in-law.

I never liked the Echo or any other gasoline powered tools I have owned.
(except for my Toro Personal Pace lawn mower) They are far too heavy, noisy,
and smelly.

I have a large lawn, and the Black and Decker cordless trimmer more than
meets my needs.

Freckles.

Old 26-05-2011, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Freckles" wrote:
"Brooklyn1" wrote:
"Freckles" wrote:

[...]

You sure don't sound like the same person who started this thread.
If your trimmer is as great as you now say it why did you make your
original post with all those complaints about its batteries?

Old 30-05-2011, 02:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Freckles" wrote in message

I read the reviews about this trimmer on Amazon.com and found that even
though the trimmer was considered good the batteries weren't.

I have this trimmer and I like it very much, but the batteries are a pain.
They will not hold a charge any longer, and had very little power after the
first season of use.

I have found that if I put a battery in the trimmer, lock the on/off switch
on
and allow the machine to run until the battery is completely drained, then
give the battery a quick charge (2 hours) the machine works almost as good
as it did the first season.

However, for the best results the machine needs be used as soon after
charging the battery as possible

Freckles
You did discharge the batteries before storing them over winter, didn't you?
This is my 3rd season with the trimmer and I've had no problems, yet.... If
I do I'll keep your advice in mind. Thanks