Old 28-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Registered User

Default Hibiscus and slugs - eugh!!

I bought an Hibiscus from the 99p shop in march. Within a couple of weeks on my windowsill it was bursting out over the packaging it came in so I took the chance to get it out in the garden asap at the beginning of April. I lovingly surrounded it with fresh compost and watered it well in, and to thank me, within a week all it's leaves had gone!!

I had surrounded the plant (and its neighbouring Peonies) with plenty of slug pellets, and there were a few snails nearby when I looked (all sticking their little snaily two-fingers up at me, and burping) but none actually on or by the plant.

My husband said he saw new growth the other day, but I can't see any now.

Will it be slugs or snails, or did my hibiscus get homesick for the windowledge it was thriving so well on.

Also if it was slugs etc, is there a really good way of getting rid of them - bearing in mind we have cats. The only reason pellets went down there is because the cats don't go there.