Old 30-05-2011, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Leggy Petunia -all growth at end of stems

At FLICKR I have posted a picture of a PETUNIA in a pot which has all
growth at end of long bare stems.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47490889@N06/?saved=1

Despite all efforts to prune long stems with flowers, I have not
succeeded in starting new growth
much closer to the beginning of those long stems.

Would appreciate some advise to help promote new growth closer to
beginning of stems.
Only one tiny new growth occurred on one cut stem.

Think I am watering adequately and feeding properly.

Suggestions please, dave_s

Old 30-05-2011, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 30, 3:03*pm, dave_s wrote:
At FLICKR I have posted a picture of a PETUNIA in a pot which has all
growth at end of long bare stems.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47490889@N06/?saved=1

Despite all efforts to prune long stems with flowers, I have not
succeeded in starting new growth
much closer to the beginning of those long stems.

Would appreciate some advise to help promote new growth closer to
beginning of stems.
Only one tiny new growth occurred on one cut stem.

Think I am watering adequately and feeding properly.

Suggestions please, dave_s

I cannot really tell, but it looks like you have 2 or 3 petunias in
that pot.

Pull them out, along with the soil.
Separate the root systems.
Put them each into a new pot- remember that clay pots are porous, and
if you are in a warm place, the clay will suck water out of the soil.
Plastic pots (or old sour cream containers, for that matter) are not
as pretty but they are better for plants if you cannot water them
twice a day.
CUT THEM BACK.
Sacrifice the current flowers and cut them back as far as you dare. It
is the beginning of summer(assuming you are in the northern
hemisphere- you don't provide a location), so you should get awesome
blooms for weeks to come.
Give them a fertilizer drink. I use Miracle Grow at quarter-strength.
Do it as soon as you cut them back and transplant them.

Chris

PS: You should be able to stick the cuttings into water (with a touch
of rooting hormone if you have it) to produce new plant.
Old 30-05-2011, 11:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 30 May 2011 12:03:18 -0700 (PDT), dave_s
wrote:

At FLICKR I have posted a picture of a PETUNIA in a pot which has all
growth at end of long bare stems.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47490889@N06/?saved=1

Despite all efforts to prune long stems with flowers, I have not
succeeded in starting new growth
much closer to the beginning of those long stems.

Would appreciate some advise to help promote new growth closer to
beginning of stems.
Only one tiny new growth occurred on one cut stem.

Think I am watering adequately and feeding properly.

Suggestions please, dave_s

Are they in full sun?

Old 31-05-2011, 02:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

At FLICKR I have posted a picture of a PETUNIA in a pot which has all
growth at end of long bare stems.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47490889@N06/?saved=1

Despite all efforts to prune long stems with flowers, I have not
succeeded in starting new growth
much closer to the beginning of those long stems.

Would appreciate some advise to help promote new growth closer to
beginning of stems.
Only one tiny new growth occurred on one cut stem.

Think I am watering adequately and feeding properly.

Suggestions please, dave_s

Are they in full sun?

Yes, they are located in full sun.
Located in San Fernando Valley, Southern California, zip code 91402.
Dave_s
Old 31-05-2011, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Chris,
Please see remarks at end.

On 5/30/2011 12:22 PM, Chris wrote:
On May 30, 3:03 pm, wrote:
[...]

I am located in San Fernando Valley, Southern California, zip code
91402. This is a warm location. This Petunia is grown in full sun.

Many thanks for your suggestions to revive this Petunia.
I'll change the type pot from clay to plastic.

I sure will try to water root the cuttings. While I do have rooting
hormone, I've never dipped cuttings in rootone before rooting in water.

Regards, Dave_S

[IMG] code is On

Flourescent lights/leggy seedlings? Mark Gardening 5 14-02-2005 10:08 PM
how a beginnner determines leggy? DigitalVinyl Gardening 3 29-04-2003 10:08 PM
What causes "Leggy" seedlings? TakeThisOut Gardening 26 11-04-2003 04:44 AM
leggy seedlings Jessica Gardening 13 05-04-2003 06:56 AM
What to do with leggy seedlings JimM United Kingdom 1 11-02-2003 06:20 AM