Old 01-06-2011, 11:40 PM
Registered User

Default Name that plant!

Hi,

I've spent the last month or so at weekends preparing my garden for new turf. The glyphosate obliterated everything including the grass and comfry, which is great, however this cheeky "ivy type" plant (might even be ivy but don't think so) keeps growing through even when buried deep underground. It also grows up my garden wall. Little bits of the root got dispersed around the garden and now on my lovely brown garden (which is awaiting turf) there are the odd few leaves sprouting out! Could somebody please name this plant (see photo) and suggest a weed killer powerful enough to kill off the plant and its roots?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Name that plant!-plant.jpg
Old 02-06-2011, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 2, 5:00*am, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
ma701ss said:

Hi,

I've spent the last month or so at weekends preparing my garden for

new
turf. The glyphosate obliterated everything including the grass and
comfry, which is great, however this cheeky "ivy type" plant (might even
be ivy but don't think so) keeps growing through even when buried deep
underground. It also grows up my garden wall. Little bits of the root

"Glyphosate (Roundup, Touchdown, or equivalent) is a non-selective
herbicide with no soil activity. Any labeled crop can be planted after fall or
spring glyphosate application. Glyphosate should be applied when plants
are actively growing and are at or beyond full bloom. Poor control will
result if plants are under stress, not actively growing, or covered with
dust."

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/weeds/w802w.htm

[....]

The downside of buying Roundup is empowering Monsanto -- a company
which I have no hesitation in labeling EVIL!

Do some research into this monster, which has done such things, inter
alia, as compelling dirt-poor peasants in Third World countries (who
always drew water from their own wells), to BUY water, at prices that
absorb a huge percentage of their income.

Out of curiosity, I just did a quickie search under keywords "Monsanto
Evil". Was amazed at the number of sites and the detail on their evil-
doing.

Another search on "Monsanto and Roundup" yielded another "harvest" of
evil.

HB

Old 02-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
On Jun 2, 5:00*am, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
ma701ss said:

Hi there, its Convolvulus commonly called 'Bindweed' it grows from thick white fleshy roots and I'd suggest you get rid of it before you do any planting. keep using 'roundup' but make sure your using it at the correct strength (not too strong) so that the chemical can translocate the root system before killing the tops ? Spray when the subsequent growths are only 8 " tall and you should get rid of it.
Lannerman

Hi,

I've spent the last month or so at weekends preparing my garden for

new
turf. The glyphosate obliterated everything including the grass and
comfry, which is great, however this cheeky "ivy type" plant (might even
be ivy but don't think so) keeps growing through even when buried deep
underground. It also grows up my garden wall. Little bits of the root

"Glyphosate (Roundup, Touchdown, or equivalent) is a non-selective
herbicide with no soil activity. Any labeled crop can be planted after fall or
spring glyphosate application. Glyphosate should be applied when plants
are actively growing and are at or beyond full bloom. Poor control will
result if plants are under stress, not actively growing, or covered with
dust."

Identification and Control of Field Bindweed

[....]

The downside of buying Roundup is empowering Monsanto -- a company
which I have no hesitation in labeling EVIL!

Do some research into this monster, which has done such things, inter
alia, as compelling dirt-poor peasants in Third World countries (who
always drew water from their own wells), to BUY water, at prices that
absorb a huge percentage of their income.

Out of curiosity, I just did a quickie search under keywords "Monsanto
Evil". Was amazed at the number of sites and the detail on their evil-
doing.

Another search on "Monsanto and Roundup" yielded another "harvest" of
evil.

HB
Hi there, its a perennial weed known as convolvulus commonly called 'bindweed'. It grows from thich fleshy roots and you need to get rid of it before you do any planting. 'Roundup' will do it but make sure your not using it too strong as it needs to translocate these roots before the tops are killed ! Spray when the subsequent growth is about 8 " tall and you should get rid of it.
Lannerman
Old 03-06-2011, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

ma701ss said:

[...]

Glyphosate is out of its exclusive use patent so there are competitors
making it now, often much cheaper than Monsanto. It won't be called roundup
whcih is their trade name.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

ma701ss said:

[...]

Any citations that you could give, which would strengthen your
assertions, would be greatly appreciated.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/

[IMG] code is On

Scientific Name Eschsclozia californica COMMON NAME CALIFORNIA POPPY Family Name Papavaraceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 4 23-03-2011 06:44 PM
Scientific Name Salvia mellifera COMMON NAME BLACK SAGE Family Name Lamiaceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 1 23-03-2011 08:22 AM
[IBC] Tree Name Database. Was [IBC] Name Meaning Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 0 16-10-2004 10:45 AM
Plant Name? Willow Australia 16 05-04-2003 06:37 AM
Plant Name? Willow Australia 0 11-03-2003 10:57 AM