Old 05-06-2011, 01:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bllueberries - So. Calif coastal

Nursery told me cross-pollination was necessary. So I finally --
after waiting literally decades! -- got a pair of blueberry bushes
that had been adapted to need much less winter chill, so can be grown
in So. Calif coastal.

The "O'Neal" bush is loaded with big fat delicious blueberries

Its companion, "Sunshine", is also loaded -- but with tiny, miserable-
looking berries that are drying up by the day.
I am returning it to the nursery.

Questions:

1. Is "cross-fertilization" necesssary? Some of the sites I visited
said yes; others said (AFAIK) that O'Neal was self-pollinating but
would be better with cross.

2. If so, why can't it be between same varieties, rather than across
varieties?

I am dizzy trying to evaluate the many varieties listed on the sites I
visited. My #1,2,3, and so on requirement is FLAVOR. Prefer more
tangy than mild.

Your input appreciated

TIA

HB
Old 05-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Registered User

Your problem may not be the plant. Blueeberries need mositure so lots of peat moss. The berries are small because not enough moisture and/or too much sun. Each plants genetic makeup are different so because one is good and the other is bad it's not the plants fault. Yes cross pollinization is best.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 4, 5:18*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

Nearly all blueberries are self-fertile. But you will always get
bigger crops/better harvests if you plant at least two *different*
varieties. The explanation why is complicated :-) To grow blueberries
successfully in your location, you should be selecting those with low
chill requirements.......Southern highbush types. I'd recommend
'Jewel', 'Jubilee' or 'Sharpblue'. 'Jewel' is highly recommended for
SoCal gardens and produces a lot of big tangy fruit.

I'm surprised at your problems with 'Sunshine Blue' - it is easily the
most popular blueberry for home gardens on the west coast and highly
recommended for SoCal as it is very tolerant of higher pH soils and
has a very low chill requirement. It is entirely self fertile - one
plant will still produce big crops of extremely tasty berries - and
usually has no problems. I'd try again :-)