Old 26-05-2005, 12:29 AM
aspasia

Default Dwarf orange - So Calif coastal

Hi, group -

This is the second time I've tried to grow a Washington
dwarf orange tree. I am really, really discouraged

Chronology:

Few years ago, bought tree at neighborhood nursery
(So. Calif coastal).

It had 3 delicious oranges on it. After that, it
hardly bloomed next season, produced nothing,
then had to be taken out.

Bought another at same nursery. First year,
a few blooms, 0 oranges.

Second year (2005) plant went CRAZY
with fragrant blooms. You should have SEEN
those blossoms!

What happened? Blooms dropped off,
plant began to fail.

I gave it citrus feed, not in excess, and
even some iron, though the leaves have more of a mottled
green-and-yellow look, rather than characteristic chlorosis
pattern.

If anybody has a clue, I sure would
like to save plant and make it produce,
even if I have to wait till next season.

Also, if anyone in this area is experiencing
similar problems, please post.

Thanks in advance to all.

--

Aspasia
Old 26-05-2005, 07:38 PM
David Ross

aspasia wrote:

[...]

Citrus requires very good drainage. The soil should always be at
least slightly moist but never wet. For a dwarf, this might be
especially important, depending on how extensive the roots grow.

Citrus can be a "heavy feeder", requiring frequent LIGHT feedings.
Today, commercial citrus food no longer contains zinc, which is
required by citrus. Try to locate zinc sulfate in a nursery and
give your plant a light dose every time you feed it (about 1-2
tbs).

Spider mites, scale, aphids, and snails are the primary pests
afflicting citrus. Only the aphids are really visible while doing
their damage. Mites and scale are hard to see, and snails hide
during the daytime. If you see leaves curling, it's mites or
scale. If you see that bark is damaged, it's snails. There are
various treatments for all of these; check with your local
nursery. (I use malathion on mites, scale, and aphids. I use
carnivorous decollate snails to control the brown snails.)

Newly planted citrus might fail to bear fruit for the first year or
two. It's a tree. Be patient.

See my URL:http://www.rossde.com/garden/dwarf_citrus.html.

--
David E. Ross