Old 10-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Registered User

Default Spindly Apricots

Hi there.
I'm growing Apricots from seed in France and now have 8 saplings about 2 ft high. They are very spindly and need support. Should I nip out the growing tip to encourage bushing?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Drobium's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Bedworth ,Warwickshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vomog View Post
Hi there.
I'm growing Apricots from seed in France and now have 8 saplings about 2 ft high. They are very spindly and need support. Should I nip out the growing tip to encourage bushing?
I'm not entirely sure, but I do believe that they tend to be grafted onto sturdy rootstocks for that very reason.
You could nip out the top when they get another foot or two taller and then try to get it to a better shape.
But I'd avoid it ATM and just tie the plant up to a stake or cane for a while.
__________________
Yay! it's spring!
Old 12-06-2011, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

--
vomog

Are they getting enough sun? Spindly often applied to plants that are
not getting enough sun.

HB
Old 12-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
On Jun 10, 2:48*am, vomog wrote:
Hi there.
I'm growing Apricots from seed in France and now have 8 saplings about
2 ft high. They are very spindly and need support. Should I nip out the
growing tip to encourage bushing?

--
vomog

Are they getting enough sun? Spindly often applied to plants that are
not getting enough sun.

HB
I've been growing them in a greenhouse. It's been very warm this spring, and certainly not lacking sun. Having had great luck with Peach from seed, I assumed the same for Apricots.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 07:24:59 +0000, vomog
wrote:

Higgs Boson;926465 Wrote:
On Jun 10, 2:48*am, vomog wrote:-
Hi there.
I'm growing Apricots from seed in France and now have 8 saplings about
2 ft high. They are very spindly and need support. Should I nip out
the
growing tip to encourage bushing?

--
vomog-

Are they getting enough sun? Spindly often applied to plants that are
not getting enough sun.

HB

I've been growing them in a greenhouse. It's been very warm this spring,
and certainly not lacking sun. Having had great luck with Peach from
seed, I assumed the same for Apricots.

Stone fruit trees don't do very well in a greenhouse, they become
stunted. In order to properly develop these trees need to be exposed
to the elements, to temperature fluctuations and wind - without
movement the root system won't attain full form, without
contraction/expansion from alternating temperature neither will the
above ground portion develop a strong structure. And those are not
saplings... get those seedlings outdoors.

Tree Stages

1. Seed
2. Seedling: the above-ground part of the embryo that sprouts from the
seed
3. Sapling: After the seedling reaches 1 m tall, and until it reaches
7 cm in stem diameter
4. Pole: young trees from 7–30 cm diameter
5. Mature tree: over 30 cm diameter, reproductive years begin
6. Old tree: dominate old growth forest; height growth slows greatly,
with majority of productivity in seed production
7. Overmatu dieback and decay become common
8. Snag: standing dead wood
9. Log/debris: fallen dead wood

[IMG] code is On

Tomato Seedlings Thin and Spindly JMS United Kingdom 10 31-03-2010 03:09 PM
Spindly Nemesias M United Kingdom 2 21-07-2006 07:33 PM
helping a sickly, spindly Clematis peter Gardening 4 11-07-2003 11:56 PM
spindly camellias and rhododendrons David Marion North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:34 PM
spindly seedlings videotron Gardening 26 19-03-2003 06:56 AM