Old 11-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Registered User

Default What flower is this?

need help identifying this mysterious flower planted by some squirrels
Attached Thumbnails
What flower is this?-p1010030.jpg   What flower is this?-p1010202.jpg
Old 11-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordshenlong View Post
need help identifying this mysterious flower planted by some squirrels
Hi there, Its some type of wild marsh orchid, no doubt someone will tell you which one. I love them and I would thank that squirrel very much Haaaaaaaaa
lannerman.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 11, 7:41*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , writes

lordshenlong writes:

need help identifying this mysterious flower planted by some squirrels

\snip\

It's not Spanish (or any other) bluebell. The other suggestion of an
orchid is correct. It's one of the difficult (to identify) spotted/marsh
orchid group (Dactylorhiza).

\snip\

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Agreed - I have them growing wild in my low maintenance garden
section. I don't think squirrels plant them though. They are spread
by seedfall and as far a as I know are symbiotic in that they need
certain species of grass to grow with.
Compo ion Caithness

Old 11-06-2011, 10:52 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 11, 10:49*pm, Compo in Caithness
wrote:
On Jun 11, 7:41*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley

wrote:
In message , writes

lordshenlong writes:

need help identifying this mysterious flower planted by some squirrels

\snip\

It's not Spanish (or any other) bluebell. The other suggestion of an
orchid is correct. It's one of the difficult (to identify) spotted/marsh
orchid group (Dactylorhiza).

\snip\

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Agreed - I have them growing wild in my low maintenance garden
section. *I don't think squirrels plant them though. *They are spread
by seedfall and as far a as I know are symbiotic in that they need
certain species of grass to grow with.
Compo ion Caithness

Before someone pulls me up - I take back the symbiotic bit - I am
getting confused in my old age!
Old 11-06-2011, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

"Compo in Caithness" wrote

Compo in Caithness wrote:
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
writes

lordshenlong writes:

need help identifying this mysterious flower planted by some
squirrels

\snip\

It's not Spanish (or any other) bluebell. The other suggestion of an
orchid is correct. It's one of the difficult (to identify)
spotted/marsh
orchid group (Dactylorhiza).

\snip\

Agreed - I have them growing wild in my low maintenance garden
section. I don't think squirrels plant them though. They are spread
by seedfall and as far a as I know are symbiotic in that they need
certain species of grass to grow with.
Compo ion Caithness

Before someone pulls me up - I take back the symbiotic bit - I am
getting confused in my old age!

Not symbiotic with grass but with a mycorrhizal fungus, indeed the seedlings
need the fungus to allow them to live as the seeds contain little food for
the growing seedling. The seed is so small it will be carried a long way on
even a light wind and will germinate if it finds a suitable mycorrhizal
fungus partner. Despite millions of seed they will never get invasive (you
should be so lucky!).
My own experience with these orchids (D. fuchsii and D. maculata and hybrids
of) is that the seeds germinate amongst other plants in pots much more
easily, lots have grown with my Plionies but then that is probably to be
expected they being orchids too, but also in with a Bonsai tree and a lot in
a large pot of turks cap lilies, I've never found one in the normal garden
soil.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden