Old 03-07-2011, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Need suggestions for shade trellis plant/vine

We're putting in a trellis(?) on the south side of our house in
Denver. It's going to cover a patio. We'd like to use some kind of
vining plant for this. Here's a shopping list: Denver-sun tolerant, no
fruits to attract roosting birds, an open shade. It would also be nice
if it were "controllable".

I'm ignorant here so I'm wide open to ideas and your experiences, good
or bad.

thanks!

s-a
Old 03-07-2011, 04:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 2, 9:31*pm, semi-ambivalent wrote:
We're putting in a trellis(?) on the south side of our house in
Denver. It's going to cover a patio. We'd like to use some kind of
vining plant for this. Here's a shopping list: Denver-sun tolerant, no
fruits to attract roosting birds, an open shade. It would also be nice
if it were "controllable".

I'm ignorant here so I'm wide open to ideas and your experiences, good
or bad.

thanks!

s-a

I don't know about the "open shade" part of your requirements.

But Polygonum auberti might do, aka silver lace vine.

I know of no plant and forget vines that will do the job, all will
require some maintainance a few times a year .
Old 03-07-2011, 06:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 07/02/2011 08:31 PM, semi-ambivalent wrote:
We're putting in a trellis(?) on the south side of our house in
Denver. It's going to cover a patio. We'd like to use some kind of
vining plant for this. Here's a shopping list: Denver-sun tolerant, no
fruits to attract roosting birds, an open shade. It would also be nice
if it were "controllable".

I'm ignorant here so I'm wide open to ideas and your experiences, good
or bad.

thanks!

s-a

Hummingbird Trumpet Vine makes a nice cover for a trellis. The vines
are thick and strong and grow quickly. Once established are drought
tolerant. They also attract a *lot* of Hummingbirds. They are easy to
control.

Many types of birds nest in trumpet vines and the seeds are also eaten
by birds.

http://www.life123.com/home-garden/p...d-magnet.shtml

--
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
~Winston Churchill

“Islam is the crack cocaine of religion” ~John Bodart

On September 11, 2010 Muslims in England were burning American
flags and calling for the overthrow of the United States. They
call Islam a Religion of Peace, but it's more like a Religion Of
Psychos. ~John Bodart

Old 03-07-2011, 07:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 07/03/2011 12:49 PM, Mysterious Traveler wrote:
[...]

After closer reading of your post I see you don't want birds nesting,
so HTV might not be what you need after all.