Old 20-07-2011, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Update

Location: Rockaway, NY City
Soil: sand, sand sand
Soil treatment- as much compost as I can generate, generous amount of
peat moss, about 50 pounds of store-bought manure (what happened to
bags of manure? They now contain about 50% filler. When I was a kid,
it was all poo. I _really_ need to get to Belmont race track in the
Fall to try and scoop some fresh horse manure, limestone, and small
applications of both blood and bone meal.

Got a really late start on the garden this year because of work. But
coming along great now. Had nice harvests of lettuce and peas earlier.
And just last week I had some friends over and I sent their kid into
the beds to harvest their own lettuce! I cannot believe it hasn't
bolted- I still have a half-dozen plants in and they're doing great.
Also have started some Slo-Bolt to stick in during August. I keep the
lettuce next to a fence on the south side of the yard that gets about
3 hours of direct sun, and at least 6 hours of indirect light.

Tomatoes have finally appeared! (That tells you how late I was!) As
have cucumbers. Beans growing great, but no harvest for at least a
week. And I have zucchini! I gave up on zucchini for a few years
because I got wonderful vegetative growth, some flowers,
then....nothing. Yes, I know the male flowers fall off. I just never
seemed to get female fruiting flowers. This year I have about 4 zukes
on my single plant, and I cannot wait!

Stupid basil started to flower, but I got it in time. SNIP!

Cut back the marigolds, petunias, and alyssum (SNIP! SNIP! SNIP!) and
they all came back beautifully. Full flower again

All in all, I cannot complain now, although I ranted about the rainy
spring we had here (come to think of it, that's what got me started so
late, combined with work). It didn't help that my cold frame fell
apart and I still have not had the get-up-and-go to rebuild one, even
though I have all the parts and hardware

Best growing!

Chris

[IMG] code is On

LG Update: Birds of America (was Alexis Bledel update) Rob Jensen Ponds 0 26-12-2007 12:03 AM
mini update John Rutz Ponds 3 04-06-2003 02:56 AM
Update on yellow lemon tree leaves John Savage Australia 7 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
OrchidSafari Update K Barrett Orchids 0 01-02-2003 04:57 AM
Tiny Heather update jammer Gardening 1 26-01-2003 04:03 AM