Old 21-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Registered User

Default Advice needed for non gardener

Hello all,
I am hoping someone may be able to advise on the best way to cover a fairly steep banked area which at present is grassed with a lot of weeds growing in it. It is a nightmare to mow or strim the bank due to how steep it is and also it's fairly uneven but i need it to look respectable. I have seen a low growing hedge that looked like it might work but don't want to have to wait years for it to cover it or maybe even covering it with that green weed control membrane but have been advised that it wouldn't last too long before it looked horrible and weeds would grow on top of it. I know absolutely nothing about gardening so any help would be much appreciated.

thanks
Barrie
Old 22-07-2011, 05:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/21/11 2:37 PM, barrie g wrote:
Hello all,
I am hoping someone may be able to advise on the best way to cover a
fairly steep banked area which at present is grassed with a lot of weeds
growing in it. It is a nightmare to mow or strim the bank due to how
steep it is and also it's fairly uneven but i need it to look
respectable. I have seen a low growing hedge that looked like it might
work but don't want to have to wait years for it to cover it or maybe
even covering it with that green weed control membrane but have been
advised that it wouldn't last too long before it looked horrible and
weeds would grow on top of it. I know absolutely nothing about gardening
so any help would be much appreciated.

thanks
Barrie

Where are you? That is, what is your climate?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 22-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Ross[_2_] View Post
[...]

My Climate
Gardening diary at David Ross's Garden Diary -- Current
Hi David,
sorry that question never occured to me :-) I am in the SW of England

thanks
Barrie
Old 29-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrie g View Post
Hello all,
I am hoping someone may be able to advise on the best way to cover a fairly steep banked area which at present is grassed with a lot of weeds growing in it. It is a nightmare to mow or strim the bank due to how steep it is and also it's fairly uneven but i need it to look respectable. I have seen a low growing hedge that looked like it might work but don't want to have to wait years for it to cover it or maybe even covering it with that green weed control membrane but have been advised that it wouldn't last too long before it looked horrible and weeds would grow on top of it. I know absolutely nothing about gardening so any help would be much appreciated.

thanks
Barrie
If i am right in assuming that the bank you are talking about is fairly dry and rugged and you live in the south west possibly near the coast.
I would recommend the Cistus ( rock rose ) They thrive in poor soils, like dry conditions and provide a mass of colour through the summer and are evergreen. There are loads of different varieties, you could go for a mass of one type or create a mixed scene.
Hope this helps
You don't have to be Shrek to have green fingers!
For great advice and quality plants visit http://plantsgaloreonline.co.uk or call us on: 01279 792 321