Old 25-07-2011, 11:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default You KNOW it's too darned hot when...

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

So do you see any evidence that the current 'heat waves' is having any
impact on the attitude of the average USian to climate change?

Non what so ever, concerning global warning. One third of the USA are of a
strong religious base and are against global warming theory. This same
strong republican religious conservative base will not change. in my book
these people are destroying this country.

Snip..

We got no win solutions, we got people with too many problems to worry
about, and people to take advantage of the situation. See the book:
"The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism" by Naomi Klein
http://www.amazon.com/Shock-Doctrine...ism/dp/0312427
999/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300208360&sr=1-1
(Available at library near you.)

Today in the USA, like those in Europe are concerned with an economic
collapse. There maybe a temporary solution but getting worse in the long
run. In the USA a two thirds majority is needed to get anything done. Not
enough votes to raise taxes and not enough votes to cut the budget.

If nothing gets done by August 2, that is the day the economy could
collapse. If they do vote for temporary solution the collapse day will be
temporarily delayed.

Old 26-07-2011, 06:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Nad R" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

So do you see any evidence that the current 'heat waves' is having any
impact on the attitude of the average USian to climate change?

Non what so ever, concerning global warning. One third of the USA are of a
strong religious base and are against global warming theory. This same
strong republican religious conservative base will not change. in my book
these people are destroying this country.

Well it seems some conservative Republicans want to do that at the moment
given the news on the US economic situation. No wonder our dollar is so
high against the US dollar.

Snip..

We got no win solutions, we got people with too many problems to worry
about, and people to take advantage of the situation. See the book:
"The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism" by Naomi Klein
http://www.amazon.com/Shock-Doctrine...ism/dp/0312427
999/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300208360&sr=1-1
(Available at library near you.)

Today in the USA, like those in Europe are concerned with an economic
collapse. There maybe a temporary solution but getting worse in the long
run. In the USA a two thirds majority is needed to get anything done. Not
enough votes to raise taxes and not enough votes to cut the budget.

If nothing gets done by August 2, that is the day the economy could
collapse. If they do vote for temporary solution the collapse day will be
temporarily delayed.

Indeed. What do they expect to happen in a six month window - a miracle?

Old 26-07-2011, 11:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Nad R" wrote in message

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

So do you see any evidence that the current 'heat waves' is having any
impact on the attitude of the average USian to climate change?

Non what so ever, concerning global warning.

After some reading, In the US the average carbon use per person is on the
decline in last few years. In Australia the average carbon use per person
is on the increase. If correct, the average Australian now uses more carbon
per person than the average person in the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_per_ capita

If nothing gets done by August 2, that is the day the economy could
collapse. If they do vote for temporary solution the collapse day will be
temporarily delayed.

Indeed. What do they expect to happen in a six month window - a miracle?

Doom and Gloom, Sky will Fall, Panic and Mayhem, Armageddon...

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/23/us...e-for-economy/

US currency won't be worth spit.

Old 26-07-2011, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Nad R" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
[...]

In a 1 year window, the Republicans hope to beat Obama in the
presidential elections. Which is IMHO a charade to make it look like the
politicians are really doing something, like a couple of WWF Smack-Down
wrestlers before their scripted match. As it stands, the scenario is
that the Democrats are crooks, and the Republicans are crazy. The rich
own the 5 major corporations that control the media by which we are ill
informed http://la.indymedia.org/news/2003/04/47530_comment.php#48355
, and through bribes (campaign contributions), the politicians. As with
our healthcare reforms, I predict that the rich will win the next
election.
--
- Billy
Obama is now backing a bipartisan Senate budget plan that would cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy. In addition to entitlement cuts, the so-called "Gang of Six" plan would eliminate a number of popular tax breaks and deductions, including write-offs for home mortgage interest and employer-provided health benefits. The savings would help offset the cost of then lowering the top individual and corporate tax rates from 35 percent to at least 29 percent.

America is not broke.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/

You put Lloyd Blankfein in pound-me-in-the-ass prison for one six-month term, and all this bullshit would stop, all over Wall Street. That's all it would take. Just once.
Vote 3rd Party
Old 26-07-2011, 05:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Nad R" wrote in message

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

So do you see any evidence that the current 'heat waves' is having any
impact on the attitude of the average USian to climate change?

Non what so ever, concerning global warning.

After some reading, In the US the average carbon use per person is on the
decline in last few years. In Australia the average carbon use per person
is on the increase. If correct, the average Australian now uses more carbon
per person than the average person in the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._emissions_per
_capita

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/23/us...sastrous-choic
e-for-economy/

US currency won't be worth spit.

So it boils down to the Republicans will gut the country, or leave it to
the IMF (SAP) to gut the country. Everything will be devalued, and the
rich will buy it for pennies on the dollar (The Top 1% wins).

Old 26-07-2011, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Nad R" wrote in message

My cucumbers are going like gang busters, soon the canning
equipment gets dragged out of the basement.

How do you 'can' them? ie what do you do to them before they go into
the container?

We mainly make sweet sliced cucumbers (bread n butter style) SWMBO
has a great simple recipe if you are interested.

Yes please. I don't necessarily promise to try it, but it's always
worth checking out any new techniques/ingredients etc, that may
improve on my current one.

Quick bread and Butter Cucumbers

1 cup = 250ml
20 cups washed and thin-sliced cucumber
4 tsp celery seed
2 tsp ground tumeric
2 tsp yellow mustard seed
6 tsp salt
2 cups sugar
2 cups good white vinegar

Mix sugar with cucumber allow to stand for an hour. Put spices and salt
into vinegar, bring to the boil turn off heat and allow to steep for an
hour. Add vinegar mix to cucumbers and bring to the boil, simmer for 10
minutes. Bottle hot in sterile jars, pushing down the fruit so it is
covered by liquid.

Could you ask her indoors if she has a good recipe for a zucchini
pickle while you are at it please?

The same recipe works for zucchinis

David

Old 27-07-2011, 03:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Nad R" wrote in message

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

So do you see any evidence that the current 'heat waves' is having any
impact on the attitude of the average USian to climate change?

Non what so ever, concerning global warning.

After some reading, In the US the average carbon use per person is on the
decline in last few years. In Australia the average carbon use per person
is on the increase. If correct, the average Australian now uses more
carbon
per person than the average person in the United States.

AFAIK, Australia always has had higher per capita emissions than the US.
Not suprising given that we are as big as the lower 48 of the US, have a
high standard of living, a small population clinging round the edges and
highly centralised suppliers.

Where our nations always seemed to be different is that the majority of
Australians would beleive that climate change is real and happening. I'm
sure there are peope in Oz who don't belive it, but I don't know them. I
avoid people whose knuckles drag on the ground when they walk.
If nothing gets done by August 2, that is the day the economy could
collapse. If they do vote for temporary solution the collapse day will
be
temporarily delayed.

Indeed. What do they expect to happen in a six month window - a miracle?

Doom and Gloom, Sky will Fall, Panic and Mayhem, Armageddon...

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/23/us...e-for-economy/

US currency won't be worth spit.

I can remeber well when the exchange rate was .59c Au to $1US and pundits
were getting excited about the chance of the $Au breaking the .60c barrier -
now the rate is $1.09Au to $1US so a lot of damage has already been done.

Old 27-07-2011, 05:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"Nad R" wrote in message

[...]

After Hot Packing the jars do you put them in a BWB, Boiling Water Bath?

Old 27-07-2011, 07:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

Nad R wrote:
FarmI wrote:
"Nad R" wrote in message

[...]

No. As long as the jars and lids are sterile and you fill them with near
boiling fruit it isn't required. If have used this method a lot and never
had one go bad.

Old 27-07-2011, 11:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Nad R wrote:
FarmI wrote:
"Nad R" wrote in message

[...]

i was just wondering about the ten minute simmering point.

I do not think it is about going bad, the vinegar will alone will do it's
jobs. Pushing out the extra little bit of air, I would think, may or may
not improve the color and texture of the pickles. But I am not sure. Most
books I have read uses a ten minute BWB at the end of processing. Thought
that may be the simmering point.

Old 28-07-2011, 05:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Nad R" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Nad R" wrote in message

[...]

I know you asked the question of David, but I'll chip in. If I was packing
hot pickle type product into hot sterilised bottles, I wouldn't bother.

Old 28-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Registered User

Now that is something one should always be doing with his everyday routine and all.

[IMG] code is On

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Those darned wave petunias again limey Gardening 4 17-06-2005 01:15 AM
This darned pond!! pixi Ponds 2 27-06-2004 12:03 PM
This new pond is more darned fun!! pixi Ponds 9 28-05-2004 03:07 AM