Old 06-10-2011, 03:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rain

First rain of the season, a pretty healthy one. Unusually early for
So. Calif. coastal, where "rainy season" usually runs from Nov to
March + or -. But whole year has been anomalous. Global warming.

Caught some H20 in buckets and barrels, for indoor plants.

Will this make my celery finally germinate? Sowed seed at least 3
weeks ago. On-line says celery slow to germinate, but how slow? Seed
is from SLOLA (Seed Library of Los Angeles), which is dedicated to
preserving biological diversity. "Subscribers" get free seeds on the
understanding that they will take some seed from their crop and return
to Library. So I figgered it should be gude (intentional) but would
welcome input related to my climate.

TIA

HB
Old 06-10-2011, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/5/11 7:44 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
First rain of the season, a pretty healthy one. Unusually early for
So. Calif. coastal, where "rainy season" usually runs from Nov to
March + or -. But whole year has been anomalous. Global warming.

Caught some H20 in buckets and barrels, for indoor plants.

Will this make my celery finally germinate? Sowed seed at least 3
weeks ago. On-line says celery slow to germinate, but how slow? Seed
is from SLOLA (Seed Library of Los Angeles), which is dedicated to
preserving biological diversity. "Subscribers" get free seeds on the
understanding that they will take some seed from their crop and return
to Library. So I figgered it should be gude (intentional) but would
welcome input related to my climate.

TIA

HB

The California Department of Water Resources uses an
October-to-September "rain year", primarily because rain is rare at the
end of September and the beginning of October. In 2 of the past 8 rain
years, more than 200 days elapsed without any measurable rain in
southern California. In 6 of those same 8 rain years, there was
measurable rain in October. Over longer periods, measurable rain has
fallen in every month. Usually 75% of the rain falls in December
through February. July tends to be the driest month.

We got 0.46 inches yesterday, north of the Ventura Freeway and east of
Thousand Oaks. This was the first measurable rain in 120 days.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 10-10-2011, 11:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/6/2011 2:01 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

How do you garden with .46" of rain in 4 months?

It's been raining about once a month here, and I can't figure it out.
Water here (Atlanta) is about 2 cents/gallon, I didn't put in much of a
garden this year. I did add a small pond that is hooked up to about a
quarter of my roof and I still have to add a bit of city water.

As far as Texas... it's crazy the stuff people believe, instead of
believing in global warming.

Jeff

Old 10-10-2011, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/10/11 3:18 AM, j wrote:
[...]

Our "rain year" has just begun. During a rain year, an average of 13.4
inches of rain falls; but this is highly variable. Most of the rain
falls in December through February.

Much of southern California is arid if not outright desert. Most
gardens have sprinkler systems. Take a look at my "Climate" Web page
(link in my signature below).

Some areas depend at least partially on ground water, recharged from
mountain runoff. The mountains do get more rain than the valleys and
plains. However, some 17,000,000 people are dependent on the
Metropolitan Water District of Southern California (MWD). MWD imports
water from the Colorado River and -- via the California Water Project --
from the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Both sources are over-committed,
which means we should garden as if in a drought even when we have
record-breaking rain years; see my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/drought.html.

There are also areas that irrigate with reclaimed water, the output of
sewage plants. A beautiful Japanese garden in the San Fernando Valley
was specifically created to provide a use for excess reclaimed water
from a Los Angeles City sewage plant. In my own community, parks,
greenbelts, school playgrounds, and two nearby golf courses are
irrigated with reclaimed water.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
http://www.rossde.com/garden/drought.html.

"The result was been a permanent reduction of 15% in water deliveries to southern California water systems (private water companies and government water agencies). "

was been?

glad to see things have improved lately with
the resevoirs.

songbird

Old 12-10-2011, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
songbird wrote:

David E. Ross wrote:
http://www.rossde.com/garden/drought.html.

"The result was been a permanent reduction of 15% in water deliveries to
southern California water systems (private water companies and government
water agencies). "

was been?

glad to see things have improved lately with
the resevoirs.

songbird

Unfortunately, much of the water that southern California uses to wash
their cars, and hose-off their side walks comes from northern California
where the salmon need it.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And itıs not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. Thatıs hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they donıt get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis
Old 14-10-2011, 06:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 12, 10:17*am, Billy pukked a Murdoch
when he wrote:

Unfortunately, much of the water that southern California uses to wash
their cars, and hose-off their side walks comes from northern California
where the salmon need it.

No, what is unfortunate is that your fairy tale version of this issue
is grossly misleading and contradicted by too many real facts.
Salmon's decline issues are over fishing, your Central Valley
agriculture and the current cyclic drought and not your misguided
attempt to put this into your eco fringe bag.

SoCal's water consumption would have very little, if anything, to do
with the N. Cal salmon decline. Yes 60% of SoCal's water is imported
yet the majority is coming from the Colorado River drainage as well as
the Owens valley. There is diversion from the Bay/Delta Ag use to
human use but that water is coming from the southern edge of the
salmon range and has been reduced over the last decade. Claiming
salmon decline in the Northern Coastal region is somehow caused by
washing cars and hosing streets is a sound bite pandering to your Eco
base. It does nothing to address the real issue of unsustainable
growth in a desert but we already had that conversation when you
supported the idea of damming the desert and encouraging growth where
it shouldn't be in the Ceara region of Brazil.

Limited water sure make Hydroponics sound more attractive.

.....still we still snip 12 lines of political crap along with this 3
lines of OT propaganda.