Old 10-10-2011, 12:01 AM
Registered User

Default First proper garden - enthusiastic newbie - what are these plants?

Hi all

I've just bought my first proper house with garden, and whilst I have no experience at all of proper gardening I'm really going to make an effort to get to know my garden and do it properly.

One of my main stumbling blocks is not knowing what's in the garden already. There are some plants I've been able to identify but some I'm really not sure about. Would be really great if you experienced types could help me out getting started! Below are some photos of plants I'm not quite sure about... any leads?

Apologies - I can't seem to link in images in this post so I'll link them as separate images.

1. http://cdn-3-service.phanfare.com/im...6c8c82668eaa_1

My mother in law thinks this might be Cataniasta?

2. http://cdn-3-service.phanfare.com/im...f076fbb5b23e_1

Not a clue!

3. http://cdn-3-service.phanfare.com/im...ed8477635dc9_1

Sorry, a little blurry! I think this had pink, small flowers at the end of summer.

4. http://cdn-3-service.phanfare.com/im...17f4464d4582_1

This seems to be growing at the foot of a birch tree. No idea what it is.

5. http://cdn-3-service.phanfare.com/im...271afeb25b39_1

These flowers were pink a couple of weeks ago.

6. http://cdn-3-service.phanfare.com/im...5a849ccf4b37_1

Is this a camelia?

7. http://cdn-3-service.phanfare.com/im...9a338c37afb0_1

This is quite a large shrub - maybe 2m high.

8. http://cdn-3-service.phanfare.com/im...93580a413554_1

Not sure what this is. Should I be worried about the yellow leaves? I pruned it back recently, so looked a little more bushy recently.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

"boogaloo" wrote in message

Hi all

I've just bought my first proper house with garden, and whilst I have no
experience at all of proper gardening I'm really going to make an effort
to get to know my garden and do it properly.

One of my main stumbling blocks is not knowing what's in the garden
already. There are some plants I've been able to identify but some I'm
really not sure about. Would be really great if you experienced types
could help me out getting started! Below are some photos of plants I'm
not quite sure about... any leads?

Apologies - I can't seem to link in images in this post so I'll link
them as separate images.

1. http://tinyurl.com/3ovnvpe

My mother in law thinks this might be Cataniasta?

It's not cotoneaster - I think it's pyracantha (aka firethorn) and if not
that then it could be a berberis? or a hawthorn?

5. http://tinyurl.com/3d5mzn3

These flowers were pink a couple of weeks ago.

Abelia (at least it is if I've matched the comment to the right pic - there
is an abelia amongst the plants).

Perhaps it's this one following:
6. http://tinyurl.com/3exw8s2

Is this a camelia?

7. http://tinyurl.com/3muhdu4

No.

8. http://tinyurl.com/3sgefte

Not sure what this is.

Escallonia.

Should I be worried about the yellow leaves? I
pruned it back recently, so looked a little more bushy recently.

I wouldn't be, but I tend to have a slash and burn approach to plants in my
garden - I don't have time to coddle and cosset.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Registered User

Thanks a lot for the reply! Very, very much appreciated!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Registered User

Location: Truro, Cornwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogaloo View Post
Thanks a lot for the reply! Very, very much appreciated!
Hello

I took a look at your photos for you

1. Pyracantha
2. Possibly a Rhododendron
3. Olearia hastii
4. Photinia
5. Abelia
6. Possibly another Rhododendron
7. Arbutus unedo
8. Escallonia

Hope this helps
Old 13-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Registered User

I am listing out some of the plants. Do try out these ones, I have tried them all, they will make your garden a beautiful one..
Begonia
Calendula (Calendula officinalis)
Carnations (Dianthus caryophyllus - aka Dianthus)
Chrysanthemums (Chrysanthemum coronarium)
Clover (Trifolium species)
Cornflower (Centaurea cynaus)
Dame's Rocket (Hesperis matronalis)
Dandelions (Taraxacum officinalis)
Day Lilies (Hemerocallis species)
English Daisy (Bellis perennis)

Old 16-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Registered User

Location: Liphook, hampshire

Hi!

I've got most of names written down in order, hopefully this helps!

1. Pyracantha - soleil d'or
2. Choisya Ternata
3. Olearia Hastii
4. Photinia 'Red Robin'
5. Abelia x grandiflora
6. Rhododendron (not sure which without flower colour)
7. Arbutus Unedo (strawberry tree) one of my favourites!
8. Escallonia rubra (possibly macrantha)

I'm pretty certain on all of these so this should answer your question, good luck!

Old 16-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benlannoy View Post
Hi!

I've got most of names written down in order, hopefully this helps!

1. Pyracantha - soleil d'or
2. Choisya Ternata
3. Olearia Hastii
4. Photinia 'Red Robin'
5. Abelia x grandiflora
6. Rhododendron (not sure which without flower colour)
7. Arbutus Unedo (strawberry tree) one of my favourites!
8. Escallonia rubra (possibly macrantha)

I'm pretty certain on all of these so this should answer your question, good luck!
You guys are just phenomenal!!! Thank you SO much!!