Old 21-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Registered User

Default seaside

Hello,, Last year my fig tree had an amazing crop this year I had loads of figs that all dropped off leaving me with just one that ripened fully. Now I have lots of figs on it again but obviously they will not ripen now this year, do I take them off and why do you think I had no success this year? Thanks
Old 23-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaside View Post
Hello,, Last year my fig tree had an amazing crop this year I had loads of figs that all dropped off leaving me with just one that ripened fully. Now I have lots of figs on it again but obviously they will not ripen now this year, do I take them off and why do you think I had no success this year? Thanks
Hi Seaside, you dont say where (or even which country) you live ?? Assuming that your in the UK, I would suggest that last years cold winter was responsible for removing the immature fruits last year. Down here in Cornwall UK, the small fruits now on the plant will be what you eat next year so no dont remove them.
Lannerman.
Old 24-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaside View Post
why do you think I had no success this year?
Possibly because we just had one of the coldest summers for a long time? Various things needing summer heat didn't develop properly because of that, eg, my sweet peppers, got crap crop this year. Other things have been eventually ripened by the extended warm temps this Sept/Oct.

As it happens, I picked a few utterly delicious figs off a tree overhanging a children's playground in central London on Saturday. But the great majority of figs on that tree were unripe. You aren't the only one.