Old 07-11-2011, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default FALL COLOR

Nowhere beats Catskills for fall color.

Beautiful birch:
http://i40.tinypic.com/68y5q8.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2hehx09.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/28mmxau.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/250pe2c.jpg

Norway maple:
http://i42.tinypic.com/15gw42a.jpg

Flowering pear:
http://i42.tinypic.com/aww1n9.jpg

Now yoose know why it's named red maple:
http://i39.tinypic.com/351tu90.jpg
Old 07-11-2011, 03:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/6/2011 8:45 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Nowhere beats Catskills for fall color.

Beautiful birch:
http://i40.tinypic.com/68y5q8.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2hehx09.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/28mmxau.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/250pe2c.jpg

Norway maple:
http://i42.tinypic.com/15gw42a.jpg

Flowering pear:
http://i42.tinypic.com/aww1n9.jpg

Now yoose know why it's named red maple:
http://i39.tinypic.com/351tu90.jpg

Again, nice pics.
Tempered by my having to remove fall color from my lawn
Old 07-11-2011, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

Beautiful birch:http://i40.tinypic.com/68y5q8.jpghtt...om/250pe2c.jpg

Norway maple:http://i42.tinypic.com/15gw42a.jpg

Flowering pear:http://i42.tinypic.com/aww1n9.jpg

Now yoose know why it's named red maple:http://i39.tinypic.com/351tu90.jpg

I love my Carolina Pines but thanks for a taste of home
MJ
Old 07-11-2011, 08:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 10:38:11 -0500, Frank
wrote:

On 11/6/2011 8:45 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Nowhere beats Catskills for fall color.

Beautiful birch:
http://i40.tinypic.com/68y5q8.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2hehx09.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/28mmxau.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/250pe2c.jpg

Norway maple:
http://i42.tinypic.com/15gw42a.jpg

Flowering pear:
http://i42.tinypic.com/aww1n9.jpg

Now yoose know why it's named red maple:
http://i39.tinypic.com/351tu90.jpg

Again, nice pics.
Tempered by my having to remove fall color from my lawn

Mine just blow away... nyaaa, nyaaa.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 10:38:29 -0800 (PST), mj
wrote:

On Nov 6, 8:45*pm, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
Nowhere beats Catskills for fall color.

Beautiful birch:http://i40.tinypic.com/68y5q8.jpghtt...om/250pe2c.jpg

Norway maple:http://i42.tinypic.com/15gw42a.jpg

Flowering pear:http://i42.tinypic.com/aww1n9.jpg

Now yoose know why it's named red maple:http://i39.tinypic.com/351tu90.jpg

I love my Carolina Pines but thanks for a taste of home

There's no truth to "You can never go home again". I grew up here as
a child, now retired I'm home. In retirement I can't imagine living
anywhere else. Doesn't get more peaceful in life.
Five minutes ago:
http://i41.tinypic.com/vshwea.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/k2ke3p.jpg
The ham saw the camera:
http://i43.tinypic.com/6y19ft.jpg

Old 08-11-2011, 01:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

On 11/6/2011 8:45 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Nowhere beats Catskills for fall color.

Beautiful birch:
http://i40.tinypic.com/68y5q8.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2hehx09.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/28mmxau.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/250pe2c.jpg

Norway maple:
http://i42.tinypic.com/15gw42a.jpg

Flowering pear:
http://i42.tinypic.com/aww1n9.jpg

Now yoose know why it's named red maple:
http://i39.tinypic.com/351tu90.jpg

Again, nice pics.
Tempered by my having to remove fall color from my lawn

Mine just blow away... nyaaa, nyaaa.

Chinese chestnuts and a magnolia are my problem trees. Big leaves that
have to be removed or mulched. Dogwoods and the like have small leaves
which are not a problem. I live on a hill and most blow down hill but
not these.

Magnolia is a particular PITA as in the spring when flowers come down
they too must be removed or they smother the lawn. Chestnuts have those
thorny husks. Fortunately in back yard, I can leave most. Wish I had
known these things when I planted them.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I live on a large property with lots of space between trees. Some
drop leaves that are large and leathery and one would think they'd
need raking but when the snow melts come spring they are entirely
gone. The only picking up I do are the Norway spuce cones that drop
on my driveway, however most are harvested by squirrels and those are
neatly piled hidden away under the trees. Last summer I planted a
flowering chestnut but it's quite a distance from my house so I'm not
concerned about the thorny husks, I somehow think the squirrels will
dispatch those too. It already flowered its first spring here. You
can see where the deer ate some of the lower growth, I won't need to
keep it pruned. The few leaves that dropped this fall are already
long gone. My yard is a large expanse of open space so when the wind
whistles through anything not secured flies away, an entire large tree
worth of dropped leaves can be gone in an instant.
http://i40.tinypic.com/11tmqgl.jpg
Old 08-11-2011, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

*wrote:

[...]

My Neighbors Magnolias are PITA and somehow that they aren't mine
makes it worse. As for "going home " , we go quite often but somehow I
miss the leaves every fall. Here we live on a lake full of Geese,
Comerance, and Coots. The woods are full of all kinds of things not so
harmless.
MJ
Old 08-11-2011, 11:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

My Neighbors Magnolias are PITA and somehow that they aren't mine
makes it worse. As for "going home " , we go quite often but somehow I
miss the leaves every fall. Here we live on a lake full of Geese,
Comerance, and Coots. The woods are full of all kinds of things not so
harmless.
MJ

Do you bunyips in the woods?

Old 09-11-2011, 12:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

*wrote:

[...]

worth of dropped leaves can be gone in an instant.http://i40.tinypic.com/11tmqgl.jpg- Hide quoted text -

Don't know about flowering chestnut but squirrels and deer go crazy
over mine
But, no, the spiney husks are left behind and while they will mostly
decay they are still a pain the next year.
I toss most into bushes around property and mow over rest but if it
were front lawn, I'd be picking up more of the mess. Benn here over
35 years and have seen trees go from seedlings to overgrown
monstrosities.
Like most things in life, wish I knew then what I know now.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

*wrote:

[...]

I don't plant any large trees near my house. When I first moved here
ten years ago I had seven large trees removed, one immense crimson
king Norway maple that was hanging over my roof. There were also
several huge Norway spruce right up close so that the view from
several windows was a wall of spruce branches. After living on Long
Island and experiencing many hurricanes I don't want any trees close
enough to fall on my house. My chestnut tree is planted some 800'
away, it's only very occasionally that I may walk about there, most of
my visiting will be by tractor when mowing. My only concern was if
those spines could damage the tires but I was assured that they would
not, tractor tires are pretty tough. I will probably just go over them
and push them into the ground. I think it will be some years before
there are any chestnuts anyway so I'll worry then.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

On Nov 8, 6:14*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
My Neighbors Magnolias are PITA and somehow that they aren't mine
makes it worse. As for "going home " , we go quite often but somehow I
miss the leaves every fall. Here we live on a lake full of Geese,
Comerance, and Coots. The woods are full of all kinds of things not so
harmless.
MJ

Do you bunyips in the woods?

I don't think so but lots of Panthers, Fox and Bears among the copper
heads and rattle snakes.