Old 07-11-2011, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Broken Tree Fixable?

Hi,

Last week's snow storm broke the top of a pine tree that has
some sentimental value. The top is not completely off, just
bent down. Is it possible to fix it? How?

Thanks,
Gary

Old 07-11-2011, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/7/11 10:35 AM, Gary Brown wrote:
Hi,

Last week's snow storm broke the top of a pine tree that has
some sentimental value. The top is not completely off, just
bent down. Is it possible to fix it? How?

Thanks,
Gary

first, I feel your pain.

second - is it still held down by snow or other branches? If so, GENTLY
loosen it from what ever is holding down.

Time is on your side. Give it until spring, I think it will recover. Or
just decide it's a "weeping pine". That's my solution to one in my back
yard.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Gary Brown" wrote:

Last week's snow storm broke the top of a pine tree that has
some sentimental value. The top is not completely off, just
bent down. Is it possible to fix it? How?

What kind of pine tree, and are you sure it's pine and not some other
conifer... usually when people don't know what conifer they call all
pine. A picture would help greatly. If the leader is badly fractured
it may be best to just lop it off... however usually with conifers a
new leader will develop on its own anyway. I wouldn't make any
decisions or do anything until you see what occurs come spring... a
leader would be very supple/springy, can easily heal itself so that in
a year or two you'd not be able to find the damaged spot.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 10:35:28 -0500, Gary Brown wrote:
Last week's snow storm broke the top of a pine tree that has
some sentimental value. The top is not completely off, just
bent down. Is it possible to fix it? How?

If the wood is broken, take it off just below the break and a new leader will
establish with most conifers. If you get multiple leaders forming, select one
and prune out the rest.

If it's just bent over, do what you can to get the rest of the snow knocked off and try to keep it knocked off this winter and it'll probably be just fine.
If you can't get and keep the snow off, it'll still probably be just fine,
depending on the species, though you may have to do some remedial pruning in
the coming years: www.mttreefarm.org/Forestry-Tips/storm.pdf

But right now, except for trying to knock more snow load off when possible,
you're basically in wait and see mode till next spring.

Same basic advice as I gave Cheryl... if this is an important tree, and
you don't know what to do, consider a consulting arborist.

Kay
Old 09-11-2011, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
"Gary Brown" wrote:

[...]

Here are some pictures

http://webpages.charter.net/garyjbro...TegansTree.htm

Note the top is still connected. I had assumed trees grew from
the top and once it broke off that was it unless the top was
grafted back on. The responses suggest that is not the case.

This was a potted Christmas tree for our daughter when she was
about 3. It was almost dead when I planted it and nursed it
back to health. That was 22 years ago. I've fed it
sporadically and watched it grow to about 25 ft.

Thanks,
Gary

Old 09-11-2011, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 15:12:31 -0500, "Gary Brown"
wrote:

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
.. .
"Gary Brown" wrote:

[...]

I'd saw it off just below the break and hope for the best, it might
generate a new leader. But I have to tell you, that poor tree is
growing in so awful a spot that it barely has a chance of ever looking
better than it does now.... it's in the woods, without benefit of
light or space to grow... I'm surprised it hadn't died years ago.
You'd do that tree a big favor by clearing out all the growth around
it, or simply plant a new tree in a better place.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Gary Brown" wrote:

[...]

that's a snap, not a bend... don't know what to tell you.