Old 20-11-2011, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default apple pear or

nashi pear or korean pear or asian pear or... the pear is known by many
names. its home is in asia. its fruit is most delicious.
has anyone tried raising one?
Old 22-11-2011, 09:15 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaning What View Post
nashi pear or korean pear or asian pear or... the pear is known by many names. its home is in asia. its fruit is most delicious. has anyone tried raising one?
Yes. But it doesn't do terribly well in my rather dry garden in SE England.
Old 22-11-2011, 06:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

echinosum schrieb:
Meaning What;942204 Wrote:
nashi pear or korean pear or asian pear or... the pear is known by many
names. its home is in asia. its fruit is most delicious. has anyone
tried raising one?

Yes. But it doesn't do terribly well in my rather dry garden in SE
England.

thats about the same climate as i live in. how old is it and how long
does it take until it bears fruit for the first time?
Old 22-11-2011, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 19:22:08 +0100, Meaning What
wrote:

echinosum schrieb:
Meaning What;942204 Wrote:
nashi pear or korean pear or asian pear or... the pear is known by many
names. its home is in asia. its fruit is most delicious. has anyone
tried raising one?

Yes. But it doesn't do terribly well in my rather dry garden in SE
England.

thats about the same climate as i live in. how old is it and how long
does it take until it bears fruit for the first time?

Nashi calender:
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/pictures...alendar-2011/1
Old 22-11-2011, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

echinosum schrieb:
Meaning What;942204 Wrote:
nashi pear or korean pear or asian pear or... the pear is known by many
names. its home is in asia. its fruit is most delicious. has anyone
tried raising one?
Yes. But it doesn't do terribly well in my rather dry garden in SE
England.

thats about the same climate as i live in. how old is it and how long
does it take until it bears fruit for the first time?

Nashi calender:
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/pictures...alendar-2011/1

i like.
i wouldnt mind having all twelve of them in my garden.

Old 23-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaning What View Post
echinosum schrieb:[color=blue][i]
Meaning What;942204 Wrote:
nashi pear or korean pear or asian pear or... the pear is known by many
names. its home is in asia. its fruit is most delicious. has anyone
tried raising one?

Yes. But it doesn't do terribly well in my rather dry garden in SE
England.thats about the same climate as i live in. how old is it and how long
does it take until it bears fruit for the first time?
It's 10 years old now. I bought it as a 2nd year container grown plant (I prefer to buy maidens bare-rooted, but this was all I could find after 2 years of looking). The variety is Shinseiki, which is partially self fertile, and produces the smooth pale yellow fruits I prefer (rather than the more rough russet kind). I have a couple of normal pears nearby, which apparently are sufficient to cross-pollinate, though not every year do the other ones flower early enough to be effective. Because the Asians are early flowerers - early April, sometimes even late March - some years a late frost has destroyed most of the developing fruit. Also I lost most of the flower buds to the harsh winters of the last two years - maybe that is a feature of SE Englands on-again-off-again winters.

It actually gave me a few fruits first year, just to taste, and then a few more 2nd year and quite a lot 3rd and 4th years. It grew quite vigorously during this period, such that I was pruning it. But in general all of these fruits are plum-sized rather than the apple-sized fruits one sees in the shops. It then suddenly stopped being vigorous, and now hardly puts on any new wood, and yields are now much lower. Probably I ought to clear a bare earth circle round it, fertilise it, and water it a lot. Maybe a bit of pruning, even though it is old wood, might help reinvigorate it, though it only flowers on old wood.