Old 03-05-2003, 12:20 AM
BlueShady

Default delphiniums and snails

Hello, i woke up this morning to find one of my blue delphiniums
nibbled nearly naked! I saw some slime on the remains of a couple of
the tips of the stalks, so i suspect snails/slugs, of which i have
many. I've been looking on the net today for a non-chemical solution,
and have read about cracked egg shells, sand, copper, etc. which i
don't have on hand, at least for tonight's attempt to protect them.
One site mentioned sprinkling cayenne pepper around the plants to
repell snails, and red pepper is something i do have on hand. Has
anyone heard of this remedy? Any success?

thanks
Old 03-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

BlueShady wrote:

Hello, i woke up this morning to find one of my blue delphiniums
nibbled nearly naked! I saw some slime on the remains of a couple of
the tips of the stalks, so i suspect snails/slugs, of which i have
many. I've been looking on the net today for a non-chemical solution,
and have read about cracked egg shells, sand, copper, etc. which i
don't have on hand, at least for tonight's attempt to protect them.
One site mentioned sprinkling cayenne pepper around the plants to
repell snails, and red pepper is something i do have on hand. Has
anyone heard of this remedy? Any success?

thanks

Sluggo. Folk remedies are worthless. Metaldehyde is toxic overkill.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Krishur

BlueShady wrote in message
Hello, i woke up this morning to find one of my blue delphiniums
nibbled nearly naked! I saw some slime on the remains of a couple of
the tips of the stalks, so i suspect snails/slugs, of which i have
many. I've been looking on the net today for a non-chemical solution,
and have read about cracked egg shells, sand, copper, etc. which i
don't have on hand, at least for tonight's attempt to protect them.
One site mentioned sprinkling cayenne pepper around the plants to
repell snails, and red pepper is something i do have on hand. Has
anyone heard of this remedy? Any success?

thanks

Best of luck, I gave up on these beauties b/c of those nasty slugs. I'd go
out at night and pick them but there was a never ending supply. I knew when
the slug killer lost it's power, the next morning there'd be hardly anything
left of my beautiful blue delphs.

--
Kristen
Zone 6, SE NY

Old 03-05-2003, 04:08 PM
BlueShady

On Sat, 3 May 2003 06:24:17 -0400, "Krishur"
wrote:

BlueShady wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Shoot. They got the second plant last night. I put down a circle of
coffee grounds and chili powder (not enough red pepper in the house)
but they slimed their way across that barrier and ate up the second
plant. Today i shall make some copper rings and try that tonight.

[IMG] code is On

Delphiniums - help! GillD United Kingdom 0 26-08-2004 03:14 PM
delphiniums billq Gardening 12 08-07-2004 05:02 PM
Tall Delphiniums? Cupra United Kingdom 3 22-05-2003 10:56 PM
Delphiniums and others from seed JimM United Kingdom 3 28-01-2003 09:39 PM
Delphiniums poisonous ? HaaRoy United Kingdom 2 08-12-2002 09:45 AM