Old 17-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Registered User

Smile Ideas for plants to sell a school fete in June

My daughter has just asked me to have a plant stall at the local Nursery School in June, do any of you wonderful gardners have any ideas what would be most popular to grow.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, hope you can help.
Old 17-01-2012, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ideas for plants to sell a school fete in June

Jayne Bennett wrote:
My daughter has just asked me to have a plant stall at the local
Nursery School in June, do any of you wonderful gardners have any
ideas what would be most popular to grow.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, hope you can help.

It would be easier to say if you say where you are. The chances are I am
half a world away and what may be popular here will not be with you.

But assuming that fetes are not generally in winter I suppose you are in the
northern hemisphere and you have spring and early summer to start seeds and
strike cuttings.

I would choose plants that a pretty, easy to grow in the district, take
planting out well and you have access to cheaply.

Using for examples stuff that would grow well and be popular *here*:

- if somebody has a bag of pansy seeds they prepare little trays of
seedlings that will look good at the time you want,

- if somebody has some good-looking coleus or salvias in their garden get
them to start tip cuttings in small pots or tubes that will be ready to
plant out in June.

I would start trying to source from friendly locals; potting mix, seed mix,
used trays and pots now. Many people do not re-use containers they buy
plants in so you may find there are hundreds sitting in sheds waiting to be
collected.

If you can score some of the plastic tubes used to grow tube stock these can
be very useful. I like the sort that are about 15 cm (6in) high with a
square section that tapers towards the bottom. Many trees, shrubs,
vegetables and ornamentals can be started in these (one or two seeds each or
one cutting) and left there until planting out. This includes types that we
are advised do not transplant well (eg cucurbits) because you can get the
root ball (well truncated pyramid) out without disturbing it at all if you
are careful and the mix is not too sandy.

David

Old 18-01-2012, 12:20 AM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

--
Jayne Bennett

Marigolds that are easily started in styrofoam cups. Pansy's grow
quickly too.
MJ
Old 18-01-2012, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jayne Bennett wrote:

My daughter has just asked me to have a plant stall at the local Nursery
School in June, do any of you wonderful gardners have any ideas what
would be most popular to grow.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, hope you can help.

Parsley, cilantro, and basil, nasturtiums, tomatoes, peppers, lavender,
geranium, marigolds, catnip, violets, and sage come to mind.
--

Billy

E Pluribus Unum

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 16 April 1953
Old 18-01-2012, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jayne Bennett" wrote in message

My daughter has just asked me to have a plant stall at the local Nursery
School in June, do any of you wonderful gardners have any ideas what
would be most popular to grow.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, hope you can help.

I assume that you are in the UK since you are posting to this newsgroup
through Garden Banter. I'm on the other side of the world and live in a
rural area so our fetes might be a bit different, but here I know that
plants like Lambs ears (stachys), shasta daisy's, strawberries, May bush,
veggie plants (seedling sized - zucchini, Silver Beet/Chard, cucumber etc)
sweet peas, irises, agapanthus comfrey, rose cuttings - in fact anything,
will sell. But then we all have big gardens and need bulk plants to fill
them. Look around your area and if you live in tonwhouse land, do hanging
type basket fillers. If you live in veggie garden land, do veggie seedling.
If you live in new subdivision land, do bushes, shrubs quick garden filling
plants.

Old 18-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne Bennett View Post
My daughter has just asked me to have a plant stall at the local Nursery School in June, do any of you wonderful gardners have any ideas what would be most popular to grow.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, hope you can help.

Thank you all for your replies, i am indeed in the UK, sorry not to have mentioned it earlier, you have given me some great ideas and i cant wait to get started.

[IMG] code is On

Garden fete 3 Mad Cow Garden Photos 2 25-09-2013 05:36 PM
Garden fete 2 Mad Cow Garden Photos 1 24-09-2013 06:08 PM
Garden fete 1 Mad Cow Garden Photos 0 23-09-2013 03:23 PM
Flowers to sell in June Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 12 21-06-2009 10:21 PM
What plants should an LFS sell? NetMax Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 20-04-2003 06:17 AM