Old 19-06-2009, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flowers to sell in June

Next year we are aiming to have a stall at the annual Amersham carnival
for the gardening Club.
We are going to have to encourage members to grow plants that will be
hopefully in flower or at least attractive to buyers at that time.
Apart from Fuchsia, impatiens, and geraniums etc. is there anything else
that anyone can recommend we suggest the members grow?

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 19-06-2009, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-06-19 11:43:08 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

Next year we are aiming to have a stall at the annual Amersham carnival
for the gardening Club.
We are going to have to encourage members to grow plants that will be
hopefully in flower or at least attractive to buyers at that time.
Apart from Fuchsia, impatiens, and geraniums etc. is there anything
else that anyone can recommend we suggest the members grow?

Janet

If it's about now, how about Roses, Silene maritima, Lonicerae both
shrubby and climbing, Weigela, Abutilon, Kolkwitzia, Philadelphus,
Ferns, Hypericum, Cephalaria, cardoons, Cannas, Iris, Inulas, Nemesias,
Lotus maculatus, Lotus berthelottii......
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Old 19-06-2009, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Next year we are aiming to have a stall at the annual Amersham carnival
for the gardening Club.
We are going to have to encourage members to grow plants that will be
hopefully in flower or at least attractive to buyers at that time.
Apart from Fuchsia, impatiens, and geraniums etc. is there anything else
that anyone can recommend we suggest the members grow?

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

How about growing some Marigolds in plastic pots and selling those? By June
they will be in full flower AND going to seed. "Look after the plant, even
plant it in your garden and harvest the seeds for next year. You will always
have Marigolds in YOUR garden then"

Buying a pot plant which will produce flowers for years to come ;-)

Mike

Old 19-06-2009, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Next year we are aiming to have a stall at the annual Amersham carnival
for the gardening Club.
We are going to have to encourage members to grow plants that will be
hopefully in flower or at least attractive to buyers at that time.
Apart from Fuchsia, impatiens, and geraniums etc. is there anything else
that anyone can recommend we suggest the members grow?

Janet

Ixias
--

Cosmos is always popular

kate

Old 19-06-2009, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
On 2009-06-19 11:43:08 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

Next year we are aiming to have a stall at the annual Amersham
carnival for the gardening Club.
We are going to have to encourage members to grow plants that will be
hopefully in flower or at least attractive to buyers at that time.
Apart from Fuchsia, impatiens, and geraniums etc. is there anything
else that anyone can recommend we suggest the members grow?
Janet

If it's about now, how about Roses, Silene maritima, Lonicerae both
shrubby and climbing, Weigela, Abutilon, Kolkwitzia, Philadelphus,
Ferns, Hypericum, Cephalaria, cardoons, Cannas, Iris, Inulas, Nemesias,
Lotus maculatus, Lotus berthelottii......

Some are okay Sacha thank you but I can't see us growing Kolkwitzia
cuttings etc. into big enough plants to sell by this time next year!
Old 19-06-2009, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Kate
Morgan writes

--

Cosmos is always popular

kate

Yes except by this time of the year everyone has bought and planted
theirs. t was things we could divide or grow from seed etc. in time for
next year. I thought of bedding dahlias and maybe some asters etc. as
they are late summer.
Old 19-06-2009, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
On 2009-06-19 11:43:08 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

Next year we are aiming to have a stall at the annual Amersham carnival
for the gardening Club.
We are going to have to encourage members to grow plants that will be
hopefully in flower or at least attractive to buyers at that time.
Apart from Fuchsia, impatiens, and geraniums etc. is there anything
else that anyone can recommend we suggest the members grow?
Janet

If it's about now, how about Roses, Silene maritima, Lonicerae both
shrubby and climbing, Weigela, Abutilon, Kolkwitzia, Philadelphus,
Ferns, Hypericum, Cephalaria, cardoons, Cannas, Iris, Inulas, Nemesias,
Lotus maculatus, Lotus berthelottii......

Some are okay Sacha thank you but I can't see us growing Kolkwitzia
cuttings etc. into big enough plants to sell by this time next year!

Ah, well, impatient doesn't hack it! ;-)

Old 20-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy View Post
Next year we are aiming to have a stall at the annual Amersham carnival
for the gardening Club.
We are going to have to encourage members to grow plants that will be
hopefully in flower or at least attractive to buyers at that time.
Apart from Fuchsia, impatiens, and geraniums etc. is there anything else
that anyone can recommend we suggest the members grow?

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Dianthus [both annual and perennial]
Petunia
Old 21-06-2009, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

I find that pots of 3 different herbs sell well. Either, 3 very
easy basic ones, attractive to beginners or people with no garden
(chives, mint, marjoram)
or three less usual (3 fancy mints, 3 different basils or thymes, 3
with variegated leaves).

Janet

Good idea, I'll try that , I bought a lot of unusual herbs from Jekka
McV.'s stand at Chelsea.

Janet

Old 21-06-2009, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , beccabunga
writes

http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Dianthus [both annual and perennial]
Petunia

Oh yes, especially if the buyers have lost their petunias already
Old 21-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy View Post
Next year we are aiming to have a stall at the annual Amersham carnival
for the gardening Club.
We are going to have to encourage members to grow plants that will be
hopefully in flower or at least attractive to buyers at that time.
Apart from Fuchsia, impatiens, and geraniums etc. is there anything else
that anyone can recommend we suggest the members grow?

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Hi Janet, If you want a plant that sells itself, is easy to propagate and grow and is quick to make a saleable plant, from my experience of being the largest seller of plants at the major Cornish car boot sales I would go for Marguerites in all the colours.