Old 09-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Registered User

Default Steep slope - planting ideas to save back pain cutting the grass?

Hi,

Can anyone suggest alternative options than having grass on a steep slope I have. The slope is down my lane so not overly close to the house. Want a low maintenance way of covering the ground without the hassle of having to cut grass.

Please help

Thanks
BK
Old 09-03-2012, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/9/2012 10:14 AM, BrendanKearns wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone suggest alternative options than having grass on a steep
slope I have. The slope is down my lane so not overly close to the
house. Want a low maintenance way of covering the ground without the
hassle of having to cut grass.

Please help

Thanks
BK

Open google.com then insert the search terms 'ground cover plant' (without
the quotes) and press the enter key. You will receive a huge number of
suggestions. Pick something which suits your growing conditions and budget
and go for it. Not knowing anything about your needs other than 'slope' it
is impossible for anyone to suggest more -- a sunny fertile south-facing
slope in Surrey will be different than a shaded rocky north-facing slope in
Sutherland. Prices for ground cover varies all over the map. Buying a
half-kilo of crown vetch seeds is cheap. Buying a thousand pre-started
Vinca is expensive.

Personally, I'm cursed by about 1/4 of an acre of English Ivy which is
eating the strip of woods, bright sun to deep shade, between my house and
the road and which has proven to be totally unkillable despite being
totally free. I will gladly give it to you and will guarantee that it will
grow virtually anywhere but you need to come and dig it up and transport it
yourself.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 09/03/2012 15:45, John McGaw wrote:

Personally, I'm cursed by about 1/4 of an acre of English Ivy which is
eating the strip of woods, bright sun to deep shade, between my house and
the road and which has proven to be totally unkillable despite being
totally free. I will gladly give it to you and will guarantee that it will
grow virtually anywhere but you need to come and dig it up and transport it
yourself.

Any use?
http://www.beavertonvalleytimes.com/...95768651679400

--

Jeff
Old 09-03-2012, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/9/12 7:45 AM, John McGaw wrote:
[...]

I have a south-facing slope in my back yard so steep that mowing grass
on it would be impossible. The surface of the slope failed in a rain
storm and cost a fortune to repair; my grandchildren will make the last
payment on the disaster loan.

When it was repaired, the county required that it be planted to prevent
erosion. English ivy (Hedera helix) or African daisy (Osteospermum
fruticosum) each by itself was not acceptable because both create mats
of roots at a certain depth within the soil, and such mats can create a
zone of weakness that leads to a future failure of the slope. However,
combining the two was very acceptable because the roots of one go to a
different depth than the roots of the other. Each can grow
aggressively, trying to conquer the other; neither can succeed. The
result is a dense ground cover. Right now, the African daisy is
starting to bloom. (Of course, not knowing where in the UK you are, I
don't know if African daisy is sufficiently hardy for your climate. Not
knowing which way the slope faces, I don't know if this ground cover
will receive sufficient sun to flower.)

See http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_back.html#hill.

An alternative might be red fescue (Festuca rubra), which is suitable
for most climates. This is an ornamental grass that grows about 6-10
inches tall and flops over. Sunset says: "Unmowed, all types of red
fescue make attractive meadow on slopes too steep to mow." I have this
as my lawn in back. I have a service come in a mow it to about 3 inches
in October (Yes, only once a year) so that I can rake leaves. I have
seen slopes planted with this that do indeed look like they have never
been mowed while still looking nice.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

[IMG] code is On

Planting on a Steep Slope Alex H Gardening 13 24-03-2011 06:04 PM
bare lawn areas on a steep slope Phisherman Gardening 12 15-03-2006 11:17 PM
No-maintenance evergreen ground cover on slope - ideas? Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 4 30-09-2004 09:01 AM
Ideas for steep hill? john Lawns 3 29-06-2004 06:12 PM
cutting back on cutting back Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 23-09-2003 12:04 AM