Old 15-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Registered User

Default plants to keep or weeds to dig up?

Hi i am new to gardening as we have just bought our first house and it has a small border that i am keen to get looking beautiful! there are a couple of plants in it already that i dont know if i should dig up (i.e. weeds) or keep...attached are pickies - there are 2 plants - 1 sort or 'splays', and the other (2 pictures of this one from different angles) has creeping tendrils coming form it which has me nervous! thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
plants to keep or weeds to dig up?-2012-03-15-14.25.30.jpg   plants to keep or weeds to dig up?-2012-03-15-14.25.39.jpg   plants to keep or weeds to dig up?-2012-03-15-14.25.18.jpg
Old 15-03-2012, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 20:13:08 +0000, emzieg
wrote:

Hi i am new to gardening as we have just bought our first house and it
has a small border that i am keen to get looking beautiful! there are a
couple of plants in it already that i dont know if i should dig up (i.e.
weeds) or keep...attached are pickies - there are 2 plants - 1 sort or
'splays', and the other (2 pictures of this one from different angles)
has creeping tendrils coming form it which has me nervous! thanks for
your help!

|Filename: 2012-03-15 14.25.30.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14811|
|Filename: 2012-03-15 14.25.39.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14812|
|Filename: 2012-03-15 14.25.18.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14813|

A plant is only a weed if it's growing where you don't want it to
grow.
Old 15-03-2012, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message , emzieg
writes

Hi i am new to gardening as we have just bought our first house and it
has a small border that i am keen to get looking beautiful! there are a
couple of plants in it already that i dont know if i should dig up
(i.e.
weeds) or keep...attached are pickies - there are 2 plants - 1 sort or
'splays', and the other (2 pictures of this one from different angles)

has creeping tendrils coming form it which has me nervous! thanks for
your help!

|Filename: 2012-03-15 14.25.30.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14811|
|Filename: 2012-03-15 14.25.39.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14812|
|Filename: 2012-03-15 14.25.18.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14813|

I don't recognise the plant in the first and third photographs, but it
might be a species of Lonicera (honeysuckle), and it looks like it was
intended to there.

The other plant is Geranium robertianum (herb robert). It's not
unattractive, but the odour of the foliage is unappealing, and it is a
wild plant, which can seed itself aggressively.

--
emzieg

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley