Old 27-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Registered User

Default Problems with bluebells

New here so appriciate any advise.....

We planted some bluebells bought from a local garden centre, they flowered the first year but we have had no flowers since. they appear to be spreading and 'clumping' nicely but still no flowers. Any thoughts????

the boarders are regularly fed and compost refreshed regularly.

We are at a loss, we would love some blooms......

Thanks

Carl
Old 27-03-2012, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

CarlH wrote:

New here so appriciate any advise.....

We planted some bluebells bought from a local garden centre, they
flowered the first year but we have had no flowers since. they appear to
be spreading and 'clumping' nicely but still no flowers. Any
thoughts????

the boarders are regularly fed and compost refreshed regularly.

We are at a loss, we would love some blooms......

how much sun do they get?

songbird
Old 27-03-2012, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

songbird writes:

CarlH wrote:

New here so appriciate any advise.....

We planted some bluebells bought from a local garden centre, they
flowered the first year but we have had no flowers since. they appear to
be spreading and 'clumping' nicely but still no flowers. Any
thoughts????

the boarders are regularly fed and compost refreshed regularly.

We are at a loss, we would love some blooms......

how much sun do they get?

Good question to ask, but in our yard, (central New Jersey) they
run wild and bloom in the sun and the shade.

Wikipedia has this caution:

The bulbs produce contractile roots; when these roots contract, they
draw the bulbs down into deeper layers of the soil where there is
greater moisture, reaching depths of 10–12 cm (3.9–4.7 in).[8] This
may explain the absence of H. non-scripta from thin soils over chalk
in South East England, since the bulbs are unable to penetrate into
sufficiently deep soils.

--
Dan Espen
Old 02-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird[_2_] View Post
CarlH wrote:

New here so appriciate any advise.....

We planted some bluebells bought from a local garden centre, they
flowered the first year but we have had no flowers since. they appear to
be spreading and 'clumping' nicely but still no flowers. Any
thoughts????

the boarders are regularly fed and compost refreshed regularly.

We are at a loss, we would love some blooms......

how much sun do they get?

songbird
They are in partial shade under an apple tree......
Old 02-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlH View Post
New here so appriciate any advise.....

We planted some bluebells bought from a local garden centre, they flowered the first year but we have had no flowers since. they appear to be spreading and 'clumping' nicely but still no flowers. Any thoughts????

the boarders are regularly fed and compost refreshed regularly.

We are at a loss, we would love some blooms......

Thanks

Carl
1 Select the area to plant the bluebell bulbs. They thrive best in partial shade or dappled sunlight; if they must receive light, they do best with a little morning sun and afternoon shade. These flowers can be planted under deciduous trees, or in borders, but do not do well when crowded by other flowers. Sow compost or organic matter into the soil to help retain moisture.

2 Plant the bluebell bulbs in late summer or early fall. Dig a hole 2 inches deep. Set the bulbs in a mass in the hole, with the flat side down and pointed end up, spacing no more than 3 inches apart. If you are planting white bluebells, handle carefully; the bulb is brittle and can be easily damaged. Carefully spread soil over the bulbs, gently tamping it down. Water to settle soil around the roots. Water moderately during the fall and winter, especially if planted in warmer temperatures.

3 Water the Bluebells moderately once the flower blooms. The flowering season of a bluebell is generally from April to May. They suffer if there is a sudden heat wave during the spring.

4 Remove faded blossoms. Leave the stems if you want the plants to reseed themselves. Keep the soil moist until the foliage dies down and them remove it at ground leve. The bulbs do best when left alone, but if they get overcrowed, they can be lifted and divided in late summer. However, replant immediately to avoid drying out the bulbs.
Fruit Trees

[IMG] code is On

Bluebells Plant Thieves Tarzan United Kingdom 5 11-04-2005 09:37 PM
English bluebells jane United Kingdom 24 09-05-2003 01:08 AM
Spanish bluebells Brian Mitchell United Kingdom 0 28-04-2003 02:20 AM
Bluebells on the lawn Fred United Kingdom 2 14-04-2003 07:08 PM
Spanish Bluebells Todd J. Gardening 6 28-03-2003 07:32 PM