Old 11-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Banned

Post Short Gardening Questionnaire

Hi,

My name is Larry, I'm a student at Loughborough University. I'm undergoing some research for my degree and I would really appreciate anyone who could spare 5 minutes to answer some of my questions.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: zip Gardening Questionnaire.zip (26.6 KB, 142 views)
Old 11-04-2012, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Short Gardening Questionnaire

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 12:38:23 +0000, LarrySS
wrote:

My name is Larry, I'm a student at Loughborough University. I'm
undergoing some research for my degree and I would really appreciate
anyone who could spare 5 minutes to answer some of my questions.

If you're going to post to a worldwide discussion forum to ask people
to download and open something which could very well include malware,
perhaps you could give a better summary in your post of how many
questions, and what the topic is (say, home gardening, commercial
growing, greenhouses, growing food (vs. ornamentals), pesticide use,
organics, whether your questionnaire is limited to UK readers, etc).

The gardenbanter site you posted through merely sends along the posts
to USENET, it's NOT UK specific. I'm guessing in their desire to get
advertising revenue by wrapping usenet into something that makes it
look like it's forum content on their own site, they may not be making
this clear to their users.

Summary please? And perhaps you aught to make it a PDF file. Why zip
it?

Old 12-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Banned

Apologies, this is my first time posting on a forum.

The questionnaire is based at people living in the UK. There are only 16 questions. The questions are aimed at finding out what tasks you find difficult and how you spend your time in the garden.

The questionnaire is part of my research into my degree dissertation, with an aim of finding new design and product opportunities in the garden.

The reason I zipped the previous file was because it was in a docx. file which wouldn't upload. I've altered the file and it is now available below.

Anyone giving a swift response will be much appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Gardening Questionnaire..doc (30.5 KB, 184 views)
Old 12-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Banned

Location: London

Have you thought of putting your questions into a site like suvey monkey? I suspect you'd get a better response there. I'm happy to help, but not to the extent of downloading files, saving them, uploading them, etc! They're very quick sites to use - shouldn't take more than half an hour to move your questions across, and it should save at least that much time in data processing!

Good luck with the survey,

Di
Old 12-04-2012, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:26:50 +0000, LarrySS
wrote:

Apologies, this is my first time posting on a forum.

The questionnaire is based at people living in the UK. There are only 16
questions. The questions are aimed at finding out what tasks you find
difficult and how you spend your time in the garden.

The questionnaire is part of my research into my degree dissertation,
with an aim of finding new design and product opportunities in the
garden.

The reason I zipped the previous file was because it was in a docx. file
which wouldn't upload. I've altered the file and it is now available
below.

Anyone giving a swift response will be much appreciated.

|Filename: Gardening Questionnaire..doc |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14898|

Don't let 'em get you down. Keep up the good work. I've answered and
returned your project (from my real name and address) and offered a
tad of market research advice.

Boron

Old 13-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySS View Post
Hi,

My name is Larry, I'm a student at Loughborough University. I'm undergoing some research for my degree and I would really appreciate anyone who could spare 5 minutes to answer some of my questions.

Thanks
I find this quite interesting (I know some have been bored silly already ) because I feel, but have no empirical proof, more inclined to clueless's explanations than those you have propounded.

Also, the different uses of 'swear words' have been shown, to a certain degree, by our different use of the language in our explanations. You have used the word 'expletive' whereas I used 'invective'. They do, of course, have completely different meanings because of the circumstances in which the 'swear words' are used (there are other definitions, such as vituperation).

I was brought up in very working class areas - Hackney in North London and in the East End of London - and worked as barrow boy in the East End. Like many people I moved through a number of different jobs and changed my accent and and use of language to that which best suited the situation. I made a mistake, in one job, by not changing to the right accent and language but managed to recover from it quite well. I think that it's in the nature of people to want to blend in, so they use language and accent as camoflage. I have known some clever and erudite people who have used their natural intelligence to overcome their poor education but have been reluctant to show either their intelligence or, conversely, their upbringing depending on the situation.

The use of swear words, or the lack of them, quite often point up this fact.
Fruit Trees