Old 30-04-2012, 12:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default how long before I decide the hydrangea are dead

I added two hydrangea to the gardens last year - both were rescues from
the discount shelves so I don't have lots of money into them.

But both looked to be thriving in the fall of 2011. But I had an major
snow storm at the end of October with out a hard frost first, an open
(nearly snowless) winter and early spring snow after many things had bud
break.

Both look dead - no leaf buds, but still have some flex to some of the
branches.

They are in two entirely different sections of the yard - both well
drained soil and enriched holes at the time of planting. One gets late
afternoon sun (and that should be true all year). The other is getting
full sun now, but will get afternoon shade as the trees leaf out.

So, here is is nearly May, the only other thing with out leaves is the
sweet spire (clethera ) which won't break buds for a few weeks yet.

Advice please -

Cheryl
southern New Hampshire. Usually a very cold yard Zone 5A with lots of wind
Old 30-04-2012, 01:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 30/04/2012 12:46, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
[...]

Scrape a small piece of bark back to see what's underneath. If it's
green, it's alive; if brown through to white it's not. It's up to you
how far down the branches you go to see what is alive and what isn't.

--

Jeff
Old 30-04-2012, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/30/12 8:06 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

there is still some green ... I'll just be patient for a while yet then

Cheryl
Old 01-05-2012, 07:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
[...]

I don't live where there is regular snow, but we do get hard frosts. the
rule of thumb for suspected 'dead' from frost plants is to leave the plnat
alone for 2 years. Mind you, I live in the country and plants rate higher
on the care factor agenda than any visitor's possible aesthetic sensitivity
about seeing a possibly 'dead' plant in their line of sight.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/1/12 2:02 AM, Farm1 wrote:
"Cheryl wrote in message
[...]

LOL - one could be hid from view, the other I put front and center

I can be patient, this is my garden not a public display

Old 01-05-2012, 12:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/1/12 2:02 AM, Farm1 wrote:
"Cheryl wrote in message
[...]

I learned the '2 year rule' from a non gardener. She was a sloth and just
didn't get round to removing the 'dead' plant which all of us more keen and
supposedly knowledgable gardeners told her should be removed. After 2 years
the blasting shrub started resprouting and proved all of us to be liars.
Our friend really enjoyed watching as we ate humble pie :-))

Old 01-05-2012, 01:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/30/2012 7:46 AM, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
[...]

Now that you know your hydrangeas are alive you might be interested in
propagating them once they get going:

http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/propagation.html

It is extremely easy to do and has supplied me and sons with new hydrangeas.

Only problem I have with them is deer eating them and I have to protect
young plants.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Isaak View Post
[...]

Fruit Trees

[IMG] code is On

Help me decide ~Roy~ Ponds 1 21-03-2005 04:09 AM
Help me decide ~Roy~ Ponds 0 21-03-2005 01:33 AM
The Bush's vs. Kerry's slander- you decide IntarsiaCo Gardening 38 25-08-2004 07:52 AM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM
42" vs 50" deck: can't decide [email protected] Lawns 3 16-04-2003 02:20 AM