Old 06-06-2012, 06:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Dedicated Composting Pile versus Tossing Scraps Into the Garden

Dick Adams wrote:
Damaeus wrote:

First of all, this is my first year doing any type of serious
gardening.

Mine too. In the past, I've only grown Habenero peppers. This year
it's Habeneros, Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, Lettuce, Zuchine, and
Rosemary.

That said
I was cutting the tops off strawberries this morning while thinking
about something I heard on a gardening show that plays on the radio
here. A lady called in, said she cut up banana peels into
dime-sized pieces, worked them into the soil around her roses, and
the rose bushes took off and made roses like crazy. So my question
is: why can't I just take the fresh strawberry scraps, chop them up
a bit, then sprinkle them around the tomatoes, the bell peppers,
corn, and whatever else I have growing out there? ...

How much stock can be put into this instant reaction rose bush
scenario?

I don't see where anybody said the result would be instant.

Are there any vegetables that thrive on peels or rinds?

As such no. As a means of composting and re-cycling nutrients that would
otherwise be wasted yes it is beneficial. Take into account that a bucket
(thimble, cup whatever) of made compost does not have the same content as
the same amount of vegetable peelings and rinds.

David

Old 07-06-2012, 11:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

In news:rec.gardens, "David Hare-Scott" posted on Wed,
6 Jun 2012 15:31:48 +1000 the following:

As such no. As a means of composting and re-cycling nutrients that would
otherwise be wasted yes it is beneficial. Take into account that a bucket
(thimble, cup whatever) of made compost does not have the same content as
the same amount of vegetable peelings and rinds.

I'm thinking that genetically modified food that tends to make people sick
might also be the cause of plant diseases.

Damaeus
Old 07-06-2012, 11:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Damaeus wrote:
In news:rec.gardens, "David Hare-Scott" posted on
Wed, 6 Jun 2012 15:31:48 +1000 the following:

As such no. As a means of composting and re-cycling nutrients that
would otherwise be wasted yes it is beneficial. Take into account
that a bucket (thimble, cup whatever) of made compost does not have
the same content as the same amount of vegetable peelings and rinds.

I'm thinking that genetically modified food that tends to make people
sick might also be the cause of plant diseases.

Damaeus

This seems a non sequitur to me, what has this assertion got to do with
composting? Do you have any reason to say this?