Old 04-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Alex Ng

Default azaleas and Canadian Winter

Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether azaleas can survived over Canadian Winter
(Southern Ontario)?

Thx,
Alex

Old 05-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Vox Humana

"Alex Ng" wrote in message
Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether azaleas can survived over Canadian Winter
(Southern Ontario)?

You might want to take a look at the Rhododendron Society of Canada's
Niagara Region website.
http://www.rhodoniagara.org/hrio.htm

The Girard's hybrid azaleas were hybridized in northern Ohio and are listed
as hearty in zone 5 so I am sure that you can grow azaleas in southern
Ontario.

Old 14-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Steve Henning

(Alex Ng) wrote:

Can anyone tell me whether azaleas can survived over Canadian Winter
(Southern Ontario)?

It depends a lot on where in Southern Ontario. The area around Niagra
Falls has some sheltered areas and some exposed areas.

Check out:

http://www.rhododendron.org/performers12.htm

It lists many plants that do well in your area.

http://www.users.fast.net/~shenning/rhody.html
http://members.aol.com/rhodyman/rhodybooks.html

Old 15-05-2003, 12:08 AM
SAS567

Can anyone tell me whether azaleas can survived over Canadian Winter
(Southern Ontario)?

I planted 2 Azaleas in my yard last summer. Both were in sheltered areas. The
tag that came in each one said, "Grown in Canada." Neither one made it through
the winter and I live in Mi. Zone 5.
Sue

Old 15-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Bill Spohn

I planted 2 Azaleas in my yard last summer. Both were in sheltered areas. The
tag that came in each one said, "Grown in Canada." Neither one made it
through
the winter and I live in Mi. Zone 5.

Maybe they were grown out here on the West coast ;-)

Bill
Zone 8b

Old 16-05-2003, 04:32 AM
SAS567