Old 03-08-2012, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Papyrus

I have long been in love with the looks of this plant. Am thinking
about either buying a few or growing them from seed. But I hesitate
because all the research I have done emphasizes boggy ground or other
references to watery environment.

Would there be any way to grow papyrus in a So. Calif coastal garden
which doesn't get much rain even in "winter".

IOW, would I have to create a special water environment for the
plants? Would it take too much hassle/water/worry?

I think several regulars live in more or less similar climates.
Would value your opinions.

HB
Old 03-08-2012, 04:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/2/12 6:25 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
I have long been in love with the looks of this plant. Am thinking
about either buying a few or growing them from seed. But I hesitate
because all the research I have done emphasizes boggy ground or other
references to watery environment.

Would there be any way to grow papyrus in a So. Calif coastal garden
which doesn't get much rain even in "winter".

IOW, would I have to create a special water environment for the
plants? Would it take too much hassle/water/worry?

I think several regulars live in more or less similar climates.
Would value your opinions.

HB

Cyperus papyrus is hardy in your area west of the San Diego Freeway
(I-405); east of the I-405, it might not survive occasional winter night
frosts. It does not require a bog or pond, but it is indeed a very
thirsty plant. It requires at least rich soil that is always moist to
the point of almost being wet. It will grow to 6-10 ft.

Some other species of Cyperus require actual submersion of potted plants
in water.

All of the above is from Sunset's "Western Garden Book". Anyone who is
in or west of the Rocky Mountains and is serious about gardening should
have a copy.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 03-08-2012, 07:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 2, 8:26*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
[...]

Hmmm...I do have the new one. You'd think I would consult it!

We don't get frost, unlike the other side of the mountain. Thanks!

HB

HB

Old 03-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
I have long been in love with the looks of this plant. Am thinking
about either buying a few or growing them from seed. But I hesitate
because all the research I have done emphasizes boggy ground or other
references to watery environment.

Would there be any way to grow papyrus in a So. Calif coastal garden
which doesn't get much rain even in "winter".

IOW, would I have to create a special water environment for the
plants? Would it take too much hassle/water/worry?

I think several regulars live in more or less similar climates.
Would value your opinions.

HB
Papyrus grass is easy to grow. It prefers full sun but can also be raised in partial shade. Papyrus is usually planted by rhizomes in moist, fertile soil in pots and then submerged in an aquatic environment. It can also be planted directly into 3 feet of muddy substrate to hold the heavy stems upright. The plant needs to be kept moist if not submerged. Papyrus seeds do not readily germinate and can take a month or more to sprout. Even in their native conditions, the plant does not easily spread by seed.

Extra little plant care is needed to thrive provided it is kept moist. Pruning is not necessary except to remove errant or broken stems. You can give it a balanced fertilizer in spring to support the growth of the huge stems. Papyrus grass has no damaging pests or diseases except rust fungus which will discolor the stems and foliage. In the correct zones with light and moist conditions, care of papyrus plant is easy for even a novice gardener.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 03-08-2012, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Brilliant, a water loving plant in arid Southern California.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

[IMG] code is On

Papyrus Seeds Joanne United Kingdom 0 31-08-2004 01:44 PM
Giant Papyrus question. Dances With Ferrets Ponds (alternative) 2 26-05-2004 03:02 PM
cyperus papyrus - how do I prune / revive? Editore25 Gardening 1 20-05-2004 05:11 PM
Papyrus - resting or rigor mortis? Drakanthus United Kingdom 2 18-02-2003 07:08 PM
Cyperus papyrus "nanus" papa United Kingdom 7 20-01-2003 02:29 PM