Old 11-10-2012, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

Default Amaryllis Question

I have 2 Amaryllis that were beautiful last Christmas season. I cut off the flower/stem and put them in the green house for the foliage to dye off. Some of it did, some did not. I looked at them today and see no change in the bulbs at all. They are in the original pots, do I transplant them into something bigger? Any suggestions or just spend another 5 bucks for a new one?
MJ
Old 11-10-2012, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

mj wrote:
I have 2 Amaryllis that were beautiful last Christmas season. I cut
off the flower/stem and put them in the green house for the foliage
to dye off. Some of it did, some did not. I looked at them today and
see no change in the bulbs at all. They are in the original pots, do
I transplant them into something bigger? Any suggestions or just
spend another 5 bucks for a new one? MJ

You can keep them in the same small pots (how small are they?) for
years. An 8" azalea pot works really well, even when they get big.

Bob
Old 11-10-2012, 03:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

On Thursday, October 11, 2012 10:40:19 AM UTC-4, zxcvbob wrote:
mj wrote:

I have 2 Amaryllis that were beautiful last Christmas season. I cut

off the flower/stem and put them in the green house for the foliage

to dye off. Some of it did, some did not. I looked at them today and

see no change in the bulbs at all. They are in the original pots, do

I transplant them into something bigger? Any suggestions or just

spend another 5 bucks for a new one? MJ

You can keep them in the same small pots (how small are they?) for

years. An 8" azalea pot works really well, even when they get big.

Bob

They are 6 inch pots. Do they need to reach a certain "cold" to blossom? Maybe they weren't cold enough?
Old 11-10-2012, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

mj wrote:

I have 2 Amaryllis that were beautiful last Christmas season. I cut

off the flower/stem and put them in the green house for the foliage

to dye off. Some of it did, some did not. I looked at them today and

see no change in the bulbs at all. They are in the original pots, do

I transplant them into something bigger? Any suggestions or just

spend another 5 bucks for a new one? MJ

You can keep them in the same small pots (how small are they?) for

years. An 8" azalea pot works really well, even when they get big.

Bob

They are 6 inch pots. Do they need to reach a certain "cold" to blossom? Maybe they weren't cold enough?

Are they true Amaryllis belladonna (commonly called 'Naked Lady'), or
are they Hippeastrum (commonly called 'amaryllis')? See my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_hippeastrum.html for
distinguishing these two.

If they are Hippeastrum, they are normally evergreen and do not go
dormant (other than slowing their growth in the winter). Hippeastrum is
subtropical or even tropical and does not need chilling to bloom.
Actually, it does not want chilling; the chilling required by tulips
might kill Hippeastrum.

Hippeastrum blooms best when pot-bound. Some people keep them in the
same pot until the plant (mother bulb plus side bulbs) split the pot
apart.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 11-10-2012, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

mj wrote:

[...]

Ok so what do I do now to get them to bloom?

Old 11-10-2012, 10:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

mj wrote:
[...]

I don't know about growing Amaryllis belladonna.

If it is Hippeastrum, keep it growing through the winter. It needs
light, sufficient water so that the soil is moist but not wet, and
protection from freezing.

In the spring, you can place it outdoors where it will get some direct
sun. Then, give it a light feeding. If it went dormant (all leaved
died) despite your winter care, it should flower once in the spring or
summer. If the leaves stayed green through the winter, it might flower
twice or even three times.