Old 15-10-2012, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Growing companions around the world

Just to let you all know I have been growing my own friends in the UK for
some time now and was thinking it was time to give some of my experience
back and perhaps make a little bit of money back to pay for collecting
around the world.

Don't be lonely any more - get a pet, get several. Don't have room for a cat
or dog? Tired of sea-monkeys?

Grow your own cockroaches! Watch the cute little tykes romping about in
their cage, get that feeling of warmth and empathy as they come up to eat
(from) your hand. Learn to tell the individuals by the way they flutter
their little wings, in time you can call them by name (1).

Send $50 and a stamped self-addressed envelope to get your first supply of
special high protein cockroach food dusted with live eggs. Think of the
money you will save as you no longer buy roach sprays and bombs. You can be
surrogate mother (or father) to millions! All you need is love.

Be quick as this offer won't be open for long. Just for a bit of fun the
first 100 customers also get a litter of Rattus rattus! But wait there's
more, one in ten will be carriers of Yersina pestis! You won't offers like
this every day.

Thanks for your time and happy growing.

David

(1) They won't respond but you can call them all you like.

Old 15-10-2012, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
[...]

LOL. OK David, do tell. What is it that has got up your left nostril so
much that you've making this wonderful offer.

Old 15-10-2012, 03:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Farm1 wrote:
[...]

the edjiot offering to help you grow tobacco

Old 15-10-2012, 06:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

Farm1 wrote:
[...]

Ah. That particular idiot.

How's your garden going? Did you get that snow dump the other night? We
did and it was most spectacular - full cover as far as the eye could see.
Turns out when we read the guage we got 50mm which was beginning to be
needed. Did a fiar bit of damage to trees 9radiatas, wattles and eucs) as
we've had a lot of dropped boughs - didn't do a thing to upset the apple
blossoms, or cause the damsons to drop but a few small rose sprigs were
broken.

Old 15-10-2012, 06:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

Farm1 wrote:
[...]

I have the pump and the wide spayers out watering all the gardens. The
pasture is browning off, clover not coming on much, I am fairly de-stocked
so that isn't a big worry yet.

Did you get that snow dump the other night?

No, you are higher and souther than I am. Up the Barringtons did get a
dusting but all the precipitation here has been very light to nothing at all
for months.

We did and it was most spectacular - full cover as far as the eye
could see.

That is most unlikely to ever happen here even in mid-winter.

Turns out when we read the guage we got 50mm which was
beginning to be needed. Did a fiar bit of damage to trees 9radiatas,
wattles and eucs) as we've had a lot of dropped boughs - didn't do a
thing to upset the apple blossoms, or cause the damsons to drop but a
few small rose sprigs were broken.

And now for the good news ... we had artichokes (with aioli) last night and
there are more on the way. If I lean towards the keyboard you will get a
whiff and that's from last year's crop. This year's garlic will be ready in
a couple of weeks.

Old 15-10-2012, 07:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Farm1 wrote:

How's your garden going?

I have the pump and the wide spayers out watering all the gardens. The
pasture is browning off, clover not coming on much, I am fairly de-stocked
so that isn't a big worry yet.

Bugger! Our grass is leaping out of the ground (which makes a very nice
change after os many years of drought). Himself looked out the bedroom
window this morning and saw a heifer here she shouldn't be - was worried
about grass tetany given that there was so much clover around. He didn't
have a chance to do anythig aobut her though as he had to go to our other
farm where apparently there are trees over the fence onto the road.

Did you get that snow dump the other night?

No, you are higher and souther than I am. Up the Barringtons did get a
dusting but all the precipitation here has been very light to nothing at
all for months.

:-)) Ours was more than a dusting - it was full on deep stuff. I've not
seen snow like that for many decades anywhere other than the Snowy.

And now for the good news ... we had artichokes (with aioli) last night
and there are more on the way. If I lean towards the keyboard you will
get a whiff and that's from last year's crop. This year's garlic will be
ready in a couple of weeks.

Smells and Sounds wonderful.

I thought of you the other day when I picked my first asparagus. Since then
we've had several cuttings and part meals of it. No sign of any artichokes
yet but lots of greens - mustard greens, spinach, rocket, lettuce, mizuna,
mibuna, silver beets and of course rhubarb. Still no sign of strawbs but
lots of flowers and the sodding cockies have decided that they like to nip
out the centre of strawbs. AND we're drowning in eggs at least 5 a day.
Like zucchinis, any unlocked car is fair game and gets a dozen.