Old 25-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Registered User

Location: Coventry UK
Smile Japanese Maple and Red Acer

Hi im a newbie, not a gardener of sorts but like to keep the garden looking clean trimmed and colourful.
I thought I'd brighten up my garden this summer with the Maple and Acer. The Tree is about 3.5 foot tall and at the moment here in UK it's leaves have turned a beautiful blood red. However now they are starting to fall. I am unsure wether the Maple loose their leaves or is this normal?

My second question is my Acer.
It's leaves were ok last week now there curled and browned. Some have fallen what's wrong with it. Could it be the cold wind. ?
Thanks
Old 25-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle41 View Post
Hi im a newbie, not a gardener of sorts but like to keep the garden looking clean trimmed and colourful.
I thought I'd brighten up my garden this summer with the Maple and Acer. The Tree is about 3.5 foot tall and at the moment here in UK it's leaves have turned a beautiful blood red. However now they are starting to fall. I am unsure wether the Maple loose their leaves or is this normal?

My second question is my Acer.
It's leaves were ok last week now there curled and browned. Some have fallen what's wrong with it. Could it be the cold wind. ?
Thanks
hi Michelle, firstly, acers and maples are basically the same thing with Acer being the botanical name and Maple being the common name. Acers (and therefore maples) are what we call 'deciduous', meaning they lose their leaves in autumn, so to answer your question, yes its perfectly normal. Without being too technical, the leaf forms a barrier of a cork-like substance, the chlorophyll
turns to sugar and its that which turns the leaves red in Autumn before dropping off.
regards, lannerman.
Old 25-10-2012, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Japanese Maple and Red Acer

lannerman wrote:
Michelle41;971645 Wrote:
[...]

This is all good.

dons Pedant Hat

Most deciduous trees lose their leaves in autumn and of those likely to be
grown in Ole Blighty probably all of them. However there are some that do
it at other times of the year. Deciduous does not specify a time of falling
just that they fall. The same is said of teeth, your baby teeth were
accurately described as deciduous - that is they fell.

removes silly hat

David

Old 26-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Registered User

Location: Coventry UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
hi Michelle, firstly, acers and maples are basically the same thing with Acer being the botanical name and Maple being the common name. Acers (and therefore maples) are what we call 'deciduous', meaning they lose their leaves in autumn, so to answer your question, yes its perfectly normal. Without being too technical, the leaf forms a barrier of a cork-like substance, the chlorophyll
turns to sugar and its that which turns the leaves red in Autumn before dropping off.
regards, lannerman.
Thank you for your advice. The Maple is a bloodgood and the Acer is a Dissectum garnet.
Old 26-10-2012, 04:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 07:42:17 +0000, Michelle41
wrote:

lannerman;971647 Wrote:
hi Michelle, firstly, acers and maples are basically the same thing with
Acer being the botanical name and Maple being the common name. Acers
(and therefore maples) are what we call 'deciduous', meaning they lose
their leaves in autumn, so to answer your question, yes its perfectly
normal. Without being too technical, the leaf forms a barrier of a
cork-like substance, the chlorophyll
turns to sugar and its that which turns the leaves red in Autumn before
dropping off.
regards, lannerman.

Thank you for your advice. The Maple is a bloodgood and the Acer is a
Dissectum garnet.

All Acers are maples. Bloodgood is another variety of Japanese maple.
http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalo...nese-maple.php

http://www.about-garden.com/a/en/316...apanese-maple/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVAmzT1tZxk

[IMG] code is On

Acer (Japanese Maple) source of seedlings ? SteveC United Kingdom 4 10-05-2005 04:10 PM
Acer Garnet - Japanese Maple Gardening 0 06-05-2003 09:20 PM
Acer Garnet - Japanese Maple Phisherman Gardening 0 01-05-2003 01:56 AM
Powdery mildew on Japanese Maple (acer palmatum) jimitheskin Bonsai 1 11-04-2003 03:20 PM
[IBC] Powdery mildew on Japanese Maple (acer palmatum) kevin bailey Bonsai 0 11-04-2003 09:56 AM