Old 06-05-2013, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How to protect my cherry tree from birds?

CherryTree wrote:

Many thanks to everyone replied. So it is white netting then. But is
there a simple way of applying it on an 8 meter tall tree without a
helicopter?

One would think by the same method by which you harvest cherries 8
meters up. LOL

Commercial orchard growers prune/train trees to a height/configuration
so that they can easily harvest fruit from an orchard ladder.
http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Ladders_2
The homeowner typically grows semi-dwarf fruit trees, they'll grow to
a 4 meter height but typically kept to a 3 meter height. Perhaps you
should visit a cherry tree orchard and note their tree height and
configuration.
http://i43.tinypic.com/jij5uq.jpg
Old 09-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Registered User

After several attempts to fit the netting I can say with certainty that netting is not an option, the tree is too high. Are there any other reliable options?
Old 09-06-2013, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

CherryTree wrote:
After several attempts to fit the netting I can say with certainty that
netting is not an option, the tree is too high. Are there any other
reliable options?

I just leave mine unprotected. Each year the birds start eating them
before they are ripe, but the trees produce enough that the birds eat
all they want, and there are more than enough left for us. I keep
thinking it would be nice if I could train the birds to eat the high
hanging fruit that I can't reach, and leave the low hanging fruit for me.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

CherryTree writes:

After several attempts to fit the netting I can say with certainty that
netting is not an option, the tree is too high. Are there any other
reliable options?

Net the part of the tree you can reach.
You might use clothespins.

--
Dan Espen
Old 06-06-2015, 10:57 PM
Registered User

Are there any other reliable methods except netting?