Old 10-05-2013, 09:49 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edibles

Default some spring pics

ok, so tulips may not quite be edible enough, and
daffodils are not for sure, but...

Lily Flowering Tulips Orange

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_7483_LF_Tulip_O.jpg

Lily Flowering Tulips Pinkish Red

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_7482_LF_Tulip_PR.jpg

Lily Flowering Tulips Red White

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_7470_LF_Tulip_RW.jpg

White Red Tulip (still my favorite tulip)

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_7456_WR_Tulip.jpg

Wide Angle Tulips

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_7...gle_Tulips.jpg

White Yellow Daffodil

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_7...ffodil_WwY.jpg

Mr. Squiggles

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_7..._Squiggles.jpg

Daffodil

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_7319_Daffodil.jpg

songbird
Old 10-05-2013, 01:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

songbird wrote:

ok, so tulips may not quite be edible enough, and
daffodils are not for sure, but...

Lovely pictures. Thank you.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

songbird wrote:
ok, so tulips may not quite be edible enough, and
daffodils are not for sure, but...

Lily Flowering Tulips Orange

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_7483_LF_Tulip_O.jpg

Lily Flowering Tulips Pinkish Red

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_7482_LF_Tulip_PR.jpg

Lily Flowering Tulips Red White

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_7470_LF_Tulip_RW.jpg

White Red Tulip (still my favorite tulip)

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_7456_WR_Tulip.jpg

Wide Angle Tulips

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_7...gle_Tulips.jpg

White Yellow Daffodil

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_7...ffodil_WwY.jpg

Mr. Squiggles

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_7..._Squiggles.jpg

Daffodil

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_7319_Daffodil.jpg

songbird

Pretty flowers!

--
Natural Girl

Old 11-05-2013, 12:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

songbird wrote:
ok, so tulips may not quite be edible enough, and
daffodils are not for sure, but...

thanks

Old 11-05-2013, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 wrote:
songbird wrote:

ok, so tulips may not quite be edible enough, and
daffodils are not for sure, but...

Lovely pictures. Thank you.

thanks and you're welcome. good rainy
weather project.

songbird

Old 11-05-2013, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Natural Girl wrote:
Pretty flowers!

thanks.

songbird
Old 11-05-2013, 12:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
songbird wrote:
ok, so tulips may not quite be edible enough, and
daffodils are not for sure, but...

thanks

you're welcome.

songbird
Old 16-05-2013, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
songbird wrote:

David Hare-Scott wrote:
songbird wrote:
ok, so tulips may not quite be edible enough, and
daffodils are not for sure, but...

thanks

you're welcome.

songbird

Nice pics. What are you using for mulch?

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 17-05-2013, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
Nice pics. What are you using for mulch?

which picture?

songbird
Old 17-05-2013, 06:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
songbird wrote:

Billy wrote:
Nice pics. What are you using for mulch?

which picture?

songbird

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_7482_LF_Tulip_PR.jpg

How many mulches do you use?

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Old 17-05-2013, 08:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
songbird wrote:
Billy wrote:
Nice pics. What are you using for mulch?

which picture?

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_7482_LF_Tulip_PR.jpg

no mulch on that garden this season. it was supposed
to be left with bean stalks from last fall, but Ma raked
them off. it was topped with a half and half mix of sand
and loamy topsoil and likely had some pea gravel scattered
in it too.

it will soon get weeded and then have a cover crop of
dry beans of various sorts stuck in between what is
left of the tulips.

How many mulches do you use?

it varies by garden and what i have available.
the perennial gardens mostly get weed barrier fabric
under a thick layer of wood chips.

the veggie gardens may not get any mulch at all
other than green manures, weeds and whatever paper
scraps i can get out there.

some gardens have rocks or crushed limestone as a
mulch.

then we also have shredded bark, bark pieces,
shredded wood, shredded or unshredded leaves,
newspapers, egg cartons, magazines, cardboard,
cardstock, cover crops and the usual gang of weedy
interlopers or some wandering annuals/biennials
(pinks, poppies, hollyhocks, nigella...). in
some locations i've tried using the hens and
chicks as a living mulch since they seem fairly
indestructable (if up high enough so that they
don't sit in standing water). pieces of rotting
wood/bark, mosses.

and then there are the rust garden, or the glass
garden and the pea gravel patches and the spaces
Ma uses to sort her beach stones for making stepping
stones and ...

i'm trying to think of what i would consider
the strangest mulch. broken pottery, pieces of glass,
rusted metal are probably three of the strangest.

songbird