Old 23-04-2003, 02:08 AM
dave weil

Default Some pics of *my* "messy gardens"

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/index.htm

I tried to throw together a simple photo gallery and wasted about 3
hours of my life that I'll never get back trying to get it to work.

Well, actually it works, only you can't see the thumbnails.

Well, I *think* it works chuckle.

So, feel free to try it out and just click the x'ed out boxes.
Hopefully, you'll see an image of some sort...

And if anyone has any ideas why this Front Page generated piece of
dreck isn't working, please feel free to let me know. I tried to
publish is as a "web" and it said that it was successful, but it
obviously *wasn't* successful g.

I'll probably only keep this up for a couple of days before I trash
the whole project and start over again...

Old 23-04-2003, 01:20 PM
dave weil

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 19:46:35 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/index.htm

I tried to throw together a simple photo gallery and wasted about 3
hours of my life that I'll never get back trying to get it to work.

Well, actually it works, only you can't see the thumbnails.

Well, I *think* it works chuckle.

So, feel free to try it out and just click the x'ed out boxes.
Hopefully, you'll see an image of some sort...

And if anyone has any ideas why this Front Page generated piece of
dreck isn't working, please feel free to let me know. I tried to
publish is as a "web" and it said that it was successful, but it
obviously *wasn't* successful g.

I'll probably only keep this up for a couple of days before I trash
the whole project and start over again...

Thanks to Henry, I have thumbnails for the page. He created a new
index page for me. Go here instead of the above link:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/index.html
Old 23-04-2003, 04:32 PM
dave weil

wrote:

[...]

Henry has tweaked the above link a little, but try as I might, I can't
seem to get the thumbnail for Portland From Glendorra to work. The
picture's there if you click the x'ed out box, although, it's not
really all that much to look at as it hasn't bloomed yet. It's there
for people who remember me kvetching about the size of the banded
plant last year (you remember, the damn thing was *tiny* - about the
size of a tiny tomato plant sprout). It's looking nice and bushy
now...

However, I note that the buds are about to open, so we'll have better
shots shortly.

About Old Blush Cl. I was really worried about it as the first blooms
were all misshapen. I'm not sure if I had thrips or not. However, the
blooms all seem fine now. They're a darker pink than the past few
years and the bloom size has increased slightly. It's really bustin'
out all over...

Everything is now in bud. Of course, this morning you could see your
breath (it was darn cold). But the sun is warming things up nicely...

I'm still battling black spot. Despite my using lime sulphur late in
the winter and Daconil and Orthonex since the leaf-out, I've still got
some breakouts. I've been real good about spraying this year and still
it's a battle...

Old 23-04-2003, 04:57 PM
Shiva

Thanks to Henry, I have thumbnails for the page. He created a new
index page for me. Go here instead of the above link:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/index.html

BZZZZT. Sorrrry! That's a well-tended piece of LAWN I see!

Everything looks so healthy! My Sombrueil looks exactly like yours, but a
tad farther along. So "Colonial White" or the real thing, we have the same
rose. Mine has somehow intertwined with the Don Juan it grows next to, so
that the buds are all intermingled! I NEED a camera.

Old 23-04-2003, 05:32 PM
dave weil

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:53:45 -0400 (EDT), "Shiva"
wrote:

Thanks to Henry, I have thumbnails for the page. He created a new
index page for me. Go here instead of the above link:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/index.html

BZZZZT. Sorrrry! That's a well-tended piece of LAWN I see!

BZZZZT! Wrong! Sure, it looks green. Well, the 7 or 8 different kinds
of weeds and odd grasses growing amongst the bermuda (believe it or
not, actually crowding *it* out) are also green. Looks ok from that
angle. However, get close and you'll love the veritable diversity of
plant materiel growing in that yard.

As I've said before, I like green expanses to complement gardens. BTW,
that big hackberry tree on the left hand side by the street was hacked
by the power company, which took half of its canopy. I'm having them
take it down and they've given me a redbud in its place, which you can
barely discern seemingly sticking up out of the flowering pear in the
middle of the yard (it looks like a stick). I think the tree will be
down in a week or two...

Everything looks so healthy!

If you look closely at the "foundation garden", you'll see a wonderful
groundcover of chickweed and something else that seems to be taking
over. So yes, even the weeds are healthy! Plus, I've almost got more
bermuda growing in that garden than in my yard at the moment...I will
admit to making half-hearted attemts to keep it at bay by pulling
stolens that must be 3 feet long...

My Sombrueil looks exactly like yours, but a
tad farther along.

Mine gets too much shade. After about noon, it's totally shaded by the
porch...If I had my druthers, it would be out in full sun like most of
my other roses...

So "Colonial White" or the real thing, we have the same
rose. Mine has somehow intertwined with the Don Juan it grows next to, so
that the buds are all intermingled! I NEED a camera.

Yes you do!!!

My Old Blush Cl is getting intertwined with The Fairy Cl and that's
totally cool. The Fairy won't be blooming for another couple of
weeks...it's always one of the last to bloom, although it's budding
out as we speak, which seems a little earlier than usual.

Old 25-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Shiva

dave weil wrote:

BZZZZT! Wrong! Sure, it looks green. Well, the 7 or 8 different kinds
of weeds and odd grasses growing amongst the bermuda (believe it or
not, actually crowding *it* out) are also green.

Aha! And the really cool thing is that as we all grow more and more
nearsighted, our "lawns" can only look better!

As I've said before, I like green expanses to complement gardens. BTW,
that big hackberry tree on the left hand side by the street was hacked
by the power company, which took half of its canopy. I'm having them
take it down and they've given me a redbud in its place, which you can
barely discern seemingly sticking up out of the flowering pear in the
middle of the yard (it looks like a stick). I think the tree will be
down in a week or two...

Hey, whatsa hackberry?

Everything looks so healthy!

If you look closely at the "foundation garden", you'll see a wonderful
groundcover of chickweed and something else that seems to be taking
over. So yes, even the weeds are healthy! Plus, I've almost got more
bermuda growing in that garden than in my yard at the moment...I will
admit to making half-hearted attemts to keep it at bay by pulling
stolens that must be 3 feet long...

I took some swipes at my wild garlic yesterday. Very halfhearted since I
now have reason to suspect that it repels aphids!

By the way--Mutabilis is an amazing rose. It is COVERED with blooms that
really do look butterfly-like, and has been for a week. Cass was right
about it blooming one at a time later in the season, but the first flush
is a killer. Makes de heart sing.

Old 25-04-2003, 09:20 PM
dave weil

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:58:24 -0400 (EDT), "Shiva"
wrote:

dave weil wrote:

BZZZZT! Wrong! Sure, it looks green. Well, the 7 or 8 different kinds
of weeds and odd grasses growing amongst the bermuda (believe it or
not, actually crowding *it* out) are also green.

Aha! And the really cool thing is that as we all grow more and more
nearsighted, our "lawns" can only look better!

Yep.

As I've said before, I like green expanses to complement gardens. BTW,
that big hackberry tree on the left hand side by the street was hacked
by the power company, which took half of its canopy. I'm having them
take it down and they've given me a redbud in its place, which you can
barely discern seemingly sticking up out of the flowering pear in the
middle of the yard (it looks like a stick). I think the tree will be
down in a week or two...

Hey, whatsa hackberry?

It's a big local tree here. Grows pretty fast. It's undistinguished,
except for the fact that the trunks can be somewhat distinctive and
substantial.

Everything looks so healthy!

If you look closely at the "foundation garden", you'll see a wonderful
groundcover of chickweed and something else that seems to be taking
over. So yes, even the weeds are healthy! Plus, I've almost got more
bermuda growing in that garden than in my yard at the moment...I will
admit to making half-hearted attemts to keep it at bay by pulling
stolens that must be 3 feet long...

I took some swipes at my wild garlic yesterday. Very halfhearted since I
now have reason to suspect that it repels aphids!

By the way--Mutabilis is an amazing rose. It is COVERED with blooms that
really do look butterfly-like, and has been for a week. Cass was right
about it blooming one at a time later in the season, but the first flush
is a killer. Makes de heart sing.

I've considered Mutabilis and will probably end up with it at some
day.

Mine gets too much shade. After about noon, it's totally shaded by the
porch...If I had my druthers, it would be out in full sun like most of
my other roses...

So, what is getting between S and the sun?

The house g. It gets full sun until about 12, but then the sun rises
over the house. The porch faces due east. Felicia's almost on the same
plane but it's not shaded by a porch. It's out in the open and as
such, gets another hour and a half of sun.

By the way--I am going to get some film and take some photos with my
regular camera--one of those weird little cigarette-pack-sized things with
the auto everything. We will see how it does.

Cool!
Old 26-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Henry

Shiva wrote:
dave weil wrote:

Hey, whatsa hackberry?

It's a native southern tree noted for its berries, favored by New York
City taxi cab drivers although it tends to produce a dry, hacking cough.
(Maybe this is how urban legends start)

http://www.forestryimages.org/browse...s.cfm?sub=3272

--
Henry

Old 27-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Shiva

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:15:01 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

I've considered Mutabilis and will probably end up with it at some
day.

It is the first five-petaled rose I truly love. Tiny orange buds that
open and fade to peach, then yellow, then turn a clear medium pink at
the end. It is a pre-1894, "breeder unknown" (if I recall correctly)
China rose. It has a lovely mounded shape. It is fragrant! If you go
look at the Helpmefind entry, Clara has some great photos there.

So, what is getting between S and the sun?

The house g.

Oh, only that?

It gets full sun until about 12, but then the sun rises
over the house. The porch faces due east. Felicia's almost on the same
plane but it's not shaded by a porch. It's out in the open and as
such, gets another hour and a half of sun.

You said the "F" word again. You know, maybe I will have to get this
one. If you promise it is worth it. A once-bloomer, correct? AND pink?
But very fragrant, right? Hmmm.

By the way--I am going to get some film and take some photos with my
regular camera--one of those weird little cigarette-pack-sized things with
the auto everything. We will see how it does.

Cool!

I forgot to buy the film. I am hopeless.

Old 27-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Shiva

Henry wrote:

Shiva wrote:
dave weil wrote:

Hey, whatsa hackberry?

It's a native southern tree noted for its berries, favored by New York
City taxi cab drivers although it tends to produce a dry, hacking cough.
(Maybe this is how urban legends start)

groooaaaaaaaaannn~~ G

http://www.forestryimages.org/browse...s.cfm?sub=3272

What a great link! The site in general is a wealth of information, thank
you, Henry.

--
Henry

Old 27-04-2003, 06:44 PM
dave weil

wrote:

[...]

No, it's *not* a once-bloomer. You'll have lots of blooms in September
as well. It only blooms sproatically in the heat of summer. I'll put
up a photo at pbase of the blooms in September. In fact, it's
uploading as I send this.

Be prepared - it's a pretty vigorous grower.

AND pink? But very fragrant, right? Hmmm.

Yes, they counterbalance each other...

By the way--I am going to get some film and take some photos with my
regular camera--one of those weird little cigarette-pack-sized things with
the auto everything. We will see how it does.

Cool!

I forgot to buy the film. I am hopeless.

You mean it didn't come preloaded with film?

Old 03-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Registered User

I am really worried about it as the first flowers are deformed. I do not know if I have thrips or not. Nevertheless, the Chinese are good people. They are a dark red than in the past few years, the flower size increased slightly.
Old 30-04-2011, 12:27 AM
Registered User

You some people like me, never caring much about their garden. But I gives water and fertilizers regularly. But about cutting the plants and gives them nice shapes its not my cup of tea.
Waterfall Pond Kit

And some small pics of Morning glories 3 pics (1/2) joevan[_3_] Garden Photos 2 03-10-2011 08:31 PM
Keeping a Messy Garden Shiva Roses 42 30-04-2011 12:32 AM
Keeping a Messy Garden Shiva Gardening 26 25-04-2003 05:20 AM
How to grow E. Tennelus/Sags w/o messy runners? alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
How to grow E. Tennelus/Sags w/o messy runners? alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 27-03-2003 03:21 AM