Old 15-07-2013, 01:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pls ID these plants

Higgs Boson said:

http://tinypic.com/r/ipwbnm/5

No ideas

http://tinypic.com/r/2eas3d0/5

A cultivar of Hoya carnosa (aka Wax plant)
This cultivar that is usually called Hindu Rope plant

When very happy it will produce spurs with flowers that somewhat
resemble waxy milkweed flowers which release an overpowering, but
pleasing, scent at night. It should rebloom from the spurs after a rest.

http://tinypic.com/r/2lnelnd/5

It sort of suggests a smooth sumac, but the leaves are bipinnate.

Sorry, having hard time with Tiny Pix; can't find how to show actual pix

Took to the nursery leaves from the tree and the bush. They could not ID

Small plant in pot: Nursery guy said it would grow "pearls" cascading down sides. Two
years, zip "pearls" despite good care. Hasn't grown a bit.

You won't ever get pearls from a Hoya. But here's a care guide:
http://plantcaretoday.com/how-to-car...ya-plants.html

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 15-07-2013, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, July 15, 2013 5:13:28 AM UTC-7, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Higgs Boson said:

[...]

Many thanks, Pat, for your gracious reply.

Am especially glad to get the detail Hoya avec care guide.

Now that I had a name to put to it, I went on-line and found the EXACT plant that was in my pic!

Also checked other Hoyas, and some do have trailing vines. Maybe that was what the nursery guy meant ??

In any case, the plant hasn't budged an inch in over two years, despite good food, water and sun. It's described as being happy in a pot, but I will check just in case it's getting pot-bound.

Again, much appreciate the help.

HB

Old 16-07-2013, 12:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson said:

Now that I had a name to put to it, I went on-line and found the EXACT
plant that was in my pic!

Also checked other Hoyas, and some do have trailing vines. Maybe that
was what the nursery guy meant ??

No, I think the nursery guy must misplaced his glasses (or maybe the
pot had been shifted and he went by location rather than appearance).

There is a plant that grows trailing 'strings of pearls' but it isn't a Hoya,
it's Senecio rowleyanus. I've also heard of it being calleda 'green pea'
plant. A new one that hadn't started running would look a lot like a
pile of green peas.

In any case, the plant hasn't budged an inch in over two years, despite
good food, water and sun. It's described as being happy in a pot, but I
will check just in case it's getting pot-bound.

Hoyas like being just a bit pot-bound.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] OT Linux (PLS RESPOND OFFLIST) Jim Lewis Bonsai 16 09-04-2003 09:08 PM
Hi, saw these thought Some Folks here might find them Usefull in these dry times (url) Root Watering Christopher Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
[IBC] OT Linux (pls respond ON list) John NJ Bonsai 0 19-03-2003 02:56 PM
Tree Rose help Pls. Debra Fritz Roses 4 07-03-2003 01:58 AM
double white jackmanni - pls help! :-) michele Gardening 0 06-03-2003 04:51 AM