Old 29-07-2013, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default cucumber picked too early

First year that I am actually getting cucumbers and I picked one a
couple days ago that was greenish on top, but after picked noticed it
was mostly yellow on bottom. Will it ripen like a tomato if I leave it
on the counter or out on the deck rail? Will the yellow ever turn
green, it does not seem to be changing at all.

Old 29-07-2013, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 10:16:21 -0400, "Gus"
wrote:

First year that I am actually getting cucumbers and I picked one a
couple days ago that was greenish on top, but after picked noticed it
was mostly yellow on bottom. Will it ripen like a tomato if I leave it
on the counter or out on the deck rail? Will the yellow ever turn
green, it does not seem to be changing at all.

Once picked cucumbers do not ripen... however there is no reason you
can't eat a young cuke, actually they taste better and are more tender
than the ones picked later... the more you pick the more your plant
will produce, so pick often and don't let cukes get too large, no more
than 4" is perfect. And the early harvested ones are best for
pickling too. Cucumbers are actually the plant's fruit, that's why
they are filled with seeds, the plant is mightily attempting to
reproduce and will keep trying by producing more fruit filled seeds
for as long as as you keep picking before the seeds mature. Cucumber
skin color indicates absolutely nothing... why are you so hung up on
skin color, are you racist?
Old 29-07-2013, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I don't think I was racist, not towards humans. Fruits and vegetables,
yes skin colour does matter to me. I'm not sure what that makes me.

The cucumbers I'm getting are very large, but aren't you supposed to let
them fill out? The nub or whatever it is called is not filled out.
There are three pretty big ones. I guess I will go pick a couple. I
don't really eat that much cucumber. Once in a while in a salad or on a
sandwich.

The peanuts were all gone from the front yard this afternoon, so I went
to throw a few more out in hopes bargaining with the devil(s) I may have
some tomatoes. Little ******* was on the front lawn, and it stared at
me. I threw the peanuts at it and it ran away a bit, but then came back
and ate the peanuts. ******* better not try and make friends with me.

Old 30-07-2013, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

Gus wrote:
First year that I am actually getting cucumbers and I picked one a
couple days ago that was greenish on top, but after picked noticed it
was mostly yellow on bottom. Will it ripen like a tomato if I leave
it on the counter or out on the deck rail? Will the yellow ever turn
green, it does not seem to be changing at all.

Ripeness does not apply to cucumbers and zuccinis. We eat them immature,
that is before the seeds fully develop because we don't like seeds in our
food and the flavour can be better when they are young. A gherkin is a very
immature cucumber. This is the opposite of (say) melons or pumpkins where
the flavour reaches a peak when the seeds are mature. Judge your cukes by
flavour and texture not colour. If you want to save seeds of cucumbers you
have to let the seeds mature by whcih time the flesh will be rather watery
and tastless.

David

Old 30-07-2013, 02:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
"Gus" writes:
First year that I am actually getting cucumbers and I picked one a
couple days ago that was greenish on top, but after picked noticed it
was mostly yellow on bottom.

If they are growing on the ground (not climbing), they will usually
end up looking like that.

Ignore the yellow.

Will it ripen like a tomato if I leave it
on the counter or out on the deck rail? Will the yellow ever turn
green, it does not seem to be changing at all.

Actually, you probably don't want a cucumber fully ripe. They are
huge, yellow, somewhat tough things. I've read suggestions to let
some ripen and then roast them (like a hard squash), but I've never
tried that.

Last year I planted things way too close together and several
cucumbers hid long enough to mostly ripen. They were yellow-green
and nearly the size of an American football. They went directly
into the compost pile.

--
Drew Lawson | Radioactive cats have