Old 14-11-2013, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default All ***ed up

Yesterday, today, tomorrow, over 85F. Does take a swift dive at night, thank goodness; you sleep with a blanket all year here.*

About to sow SEEDS of "winter" crops - radish, lettuce, beet, green onion. Will they get confused if this madness continues? Hope by the time they sprout, things will have reverted to "normal", whatever the hell THAT is in this globally warmed world...

* Unlike Hong Kong, where I came out of the airport at 10:30 pm few years ago and got slapped in the face by a hot, wet blanket. Up to then, I had never been in a place where it didn't cool off at night. Well, I lie -- India, Vietnam, but you have to stay in airconditioned accommodations.

Back to Alaska and another 10-day camping/mushing trip. THE greatest!

But I ramble...

HB
Old 14-11-2013, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/14/2013 2:09 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Yesterday, today, tomorrow, over 85F. Does take a swift dive at
night, thank goodness; you sleep with a blanket all year here.*

About to sow SEEDS of "winter" crops - radish, lettuce, beet, green
onion. Will they get confused if this madness continues? Hope by
the time they sprout, things will have reverted to "normal", whatever
the hell THAT is in this globally warmed world...

* Unlike Hong Kong, where I came out of the airport at 10:30 pm few
years ago and got slapped in the face by a hot, wet blanket. Up to
then, I had never been in a place where it didn't cool off at night.
Well, I lie -- India, Vietnam, but you have to stay in airconditioned
accommodations.

Back to Alaska and another 10-day camping/mushing trip. THE
greatest!

But I ramble...

HB

At noon yesterday, it was 88F with 7% relative humidity.

Near the ocean where you live, the heat will speed sprouting and help to
get the plants established before what we call "winter" arrives. Where
I live, this is very important because we often get night frosts in the
winter (only occasional and very light); so winter flowers need to be
established before the frosts. Otherwise, while the plants will be
okay, they won't bloom until spring.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 15-11-2013, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:26:45 PM UTC-8, David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

How about your veggies? Can you protect them from Valley frost by spreading black plastic over them at night?

HB
Old 15-11-2013, 04:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/14/2013 5:54 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

The only vegetables that I grow are artichokes and asparagus, both of
which are sufficiently hardy. I also grow perennial herbs: thyme,
peppermint, sage, tarragon, oregano, and bay. In April, after all
threat of frost is gone, I also plant dill and basil; the dill is
history by September before any frost. The basil might linger until the
first frost, but I already harvested and dried more than enough to last
through the winter.

Other edibles in my garden are fruits. I have dwarf citrus: Eureka
lemon, Robertson navel orange, Mineola tangelo, and kumquat. I have a
pineapple guava, a MacBeth loquat, and a Santa Barbara peach. So far,
these have been sufficiently hardy to survive the frosts, although my
orange did have some damage in January 2007. I would not try limes;
they are the least hardy of the citrus. I sometimes worry about the
winter not being cold enough for the peach. The loquat blooms in
December and January; it seems to ignore the frost.