Old 07-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Registered User

Default Help please

Hi I have a corner of my garden that I want to change to low maintenance I would appreciate any ideas that could help me Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Help please-garden-pic.jpg
Old 07-02-2014, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Brandyball wrote:
Hi I have a corner of my garden that I want to change to low
maintenance I would appreciate any ideas that could help me Thank you

Filename: garden pic.jpg |
Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15931|

There are no instant general answers to such a question.

Where are you and what is your climate? In what way is the present planting
high maintenance? What is its aspect? Does the wind often blow strongly,
if so from which direction? What do you want to do with the space? What
style is the rest of the garden?

Also keep in mind that 'low maintenance' is a relative term. If you want
something that requires no watering, prunning, weeding or mulching then
plant concrete.

David

Old 08-02-2014, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Friday, February 7, 2014 1:35:17 PM UTC-8, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Brandyball wrote:

Hi I have a corner of my garden that I want to change to low

maintenance I would appreciate any ideas that could help me Thank you

Filename: garden pic.jpg |

Download:

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15931|

There are no instant general answers to such a question.

Where are you and what is your climate? In what way is the present planting

high maintenance? What is its aspect? Does the wind often blow strongly,

if so from which direction? What do you want to do with the space? What

style is the rest of the garden?

Also keep in mind that 'low maintenance' is a relative term. If you want

something that requires no watering, prunning, weeding or mulching then

plant concrete.

David

Or mulch. In my area (So. Calif coastal), water is very expensive, so the City encourages xeriscaping. It even offers rebates for type conversion.

Over the years, as I walk around the neighborhood, I see more people covering the ground with a thick layer of wood mulch -- the larger pieces -- with just a few well-placed succulents, cacti, and grasses.

This can look quite nice, if properly designed, and requires little or no
maintenance. Plus, of course, little water.

Poster's objective may not be directly related to water usage, but succulents and cacti are definitely low maintenance. There are hundreds, if not thousands of varieties to choose from.

HB
Old 08-02-2014, 01:50 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
Brandyball wrote:

[...]

Thanks very much for both replies I'm in Donegal Ireland and it gives me other options to think about
Brandyball
Old 08-02-2014, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Brandyball wrote:

I have a corner of my garden that I want to change to low
maintenance I would appreciate any ideas that could help me

Patio.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/7/2014 7:44 AM, Brandyball wrote:
Hi I have a corner of my garden that I want to change to low maintenance
I would appreciate any ideas that could help me Thank you

|Filename: garden pic.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15931|

Depending on your climate, the indestructables that I have are sedum,
rose of sharon (may have trouble with it spreading) and some of the
herbs. If you have rainfall to get it established, perhaps oak leaf
hydrangea. And a variety of bulbs. I have a low sun location and these
work for me with little care.

I like the patio idea. Less is more.

Jeff
Old 08-02-2014, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

-

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+-
--
Filename: garden pic.jpg

Download:--
--
[...]

Ireland is not a place I would want to try out xeriscaping, rather you may
need bog tolerant plants. The enourmous difference is conditions between
California and the Emerald Isle is a good example of the need to design for
the location.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] View Post
wrote:- Brandyball wrote:
-
[...]

Thanks again for all the ideas I think Patio is a good option weather here is not mild
Old 09-02-2014, 07:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Brandyball wrote:

Thanks again for all the ideas I think Patio is a good option weather
here is not mild

I thought you'd like my patio suggestion. And you can set potted
plants on a patio. I'd use flagstone rather than concrete, this way
if you change your mind flagstone is easy to move and can be used for
something else, like a retaining wall... just don't cheap out and use
gravel, it will migrate, make a mess, and create maintenence. You can
also use that far corner for composting, and/or a vegetable garden.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn1 View Post
Brandyball wrote:

Thanks again for all the ideas I think Patio is a good option weather
here is not mild

I thought you'd like my patio suggestion. And you can set potted
plants on a patio. I'd use flagstone rather than concrete, this way
if you change your mind flagstone is easy to move and can be used for
something else, like a retaining wall... just don't cheap out and use
gravel, it will migrate, make a mess, and create maintenence. You can
also use that far corner for composting, and/or a vegetable garden.
Thanks for all the input I really appreciate it

Brandyball

Old 19-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyball View Post
Thanks for all the input I really appreciate it

Brandyball
I would agree with the patio option, although decking would work well too if you've considered that