Old 13-06-2014, 08:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bare spots in lawn again

Any ideas how to get these bare spots filled in again? Same spots, same places as last year about this time. Location is So Calif. No rain to speak of, but have been watering a couple of times a week.

Last year I spent a lot of time preparing the soil, raked in some peat moss & sowing perennial rye. Kept it watered and had moderate success. Now this year, it's mostly all gone and back like it was before.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...ozin/GRASS.jpg

In this photo, the foreground is near a water spigot and gets plenty of water from general use. The rest is all hand watered and is greening up in some places, all except the bare spots which doesn't change from week to week.

There is still plenty of peat moss and decent dirt.

Old 13-06-2014, 02:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
"Guv Bob" writes:

There is still plenty of peat moss and decent dirt.

FYI, peat moss is mildly acidic. Turf grass tends not to like
acidic soil. Whether this is a part of your problem will depend
on the overall soil pH.

My standard advice for all lawn problems is to rip it out and plant
a garden. I develop more disdain for grass with each time I have
to mow.

--
Drew Lawson | Radioactive cats have

Old 13-06-2014, 03:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Guv Bob wrote:

Any ideas how to get these bare spots filled in again? Same spots, same places as last year about this time. Location is So Calif. No rain to speak of, but have been watering a couple of times a week.

Last year I spent a lot of time preparing the soil, raked in some peat moss & sowing perennial rye. Kept it watered and had moderate success. Now this year, it's mostly all gone and back like it was before.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...ozin/GRASS.jpg

In this photo, the foreground is near a water spigot and gets plenty of water from general use. The rest is all hand watered and is greening up in some places, all except the bare spots which doesn't change from week to week.

There is still plenty of peat moss and decent dirt.

Peat moss only helps seed germination by holding moisture but adds
little to nothing in way of nutrients for growth, plus it acidifies so
whenever using peat moss for beginning a lawn you must add lime too...
helps a lot to periodically test for proper pH and adjust as needed.
And peat moss only lasts perhaps 6 months before it totally
decomposses and washes away.

Your photo is really too small to show detail but to me, and having
lived in SoCal for five years, it looks like typical lousy SoCal soil.
To successfully grow lawn grass there you must bring in lots of rich
topsoil, minimally 4", 6" is better. And then once every year you
need to apply a good half inch of rich top soil as a top dressing. You
need to aerate too. Growing good lawn grass is complex regardless
where but SoCal is probably the most difficult area in the US, and no
matter how much you try and whatever else you do without having an
automatic irrigation system you are doomed to failure. When I lived
on Long Island a lawn was difficult too, the soil was primarilly sand.
Fortunately here in the Catskills I don't have a lawn growing problem
my lawn grows too quickly and very thick. And I do absolutely nothing
but mow, I mow ten acres of lawn every week... I never water, I never
fertilize, I apply no chemicals whatsoever... the critters apply all
the amendments.
This morning it's pouring rain:
http://i59.tinypic.com/t69lqr.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/2yv2dkm.jpg
Old 13-06-2014, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Drew Lawson wrote:

My standard advice for all lawn problems is to rip it out and plant
a garden.

That would depend on the particular property... if you live on a
postage stamp sized city lot you can do that. But I don't need a
larger garden, my vegetable garden is probably larger than your entire
lot.

I develop more disdain for grass with each time I have to mow.

I find mowing very relaxing with A/C, AM/FM Stereo, Power Steering,
Cruise Control, etc., very comfortable:
http://i59.tinypic.com/1e6jb5.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/vzel9h.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/ei8kd0.jpg
Old 13-06-2014, 06:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Brooklyn1" wrote in message ...
Guv Bob wrote:

[...]

Wow! That's beautiful. Mine is about a 2 postage stamp lot, mostly 2-4 inches of topsoil with clay underneath. No sand and no natural drainage. Nothing with deep roots do well.