Old 03-08-2014, 07:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default ¡Tomatillo!

Hi All,

Harvested and tasted my first Tomatillo ever. ¡Ay, caramba!
Those things taste good! (4 grams carbs per 1/2 cup too!)

Figured out when to harvest them too. Wait for the fruit
to burst out of the wrapper, wait for the wrapper to turn
yellow, and wait for the stem to turn brown.

Wow. I could not believe how they tasted. My wife loved
them too. I can believe people make salsa out of them.

And they are growing almost out of control. I got about
25 more (green) fruit on the two of them too. I wish
tomatoes were so easy to grow. :-)

-T
Old 03-08-2014, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sunday, August 3, 2014 2:55:03 AM UTC-4, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Harvested and tasted my first Tomatillo ever. ¡Ay, caramba!

Those things taste good! (4 grams carbs per 1/2 cup too!)

Figured out when to harvest them too. Wait for the fruit

to burst out of the wrapper, wait for the wrapper to turn

yellow, and wait for the stem to turn brown.

Wow. I could not believe how they tasted. My wife loved

them too. I can believe people make salsa out of them.

And they are growing almost out of control. I got about

25 more (green) fruit on the two of them too. I wish

tomatoes were so easy to grow. :-)

-T

Yep, they're easy. Just leave a fruit or three on the plant and they will self-sow for next year, etc... in perpetuity.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 08/03/2014 07:41 AM, Steve Peek wrote:
On Sunday, August 3, 2014 2:55:03 AM UTC-4, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Harvested and tasted my first Tomatillo ever. ¡Ay, caramba!

Those things taste good! (4 grams carbs per 1/2 cup too!)

Figured out when to harvest them too. Wait for the fruit

to burst out of the wrapper, wait for the wrapper to turn

yellow, and wait for the stem to turn brown.

Wow. I could not believe how they tasted. My wife loved

them too. I can believe people make salsa out of them.

And they are growing almost out of control. I got about

25 more (green) fruit on the two of them too. I wish

tomatoes were so easy to grow. :-)

-T

Yep, they're easy. Just leave a fruit or three on the plant and they will self-sow for next year, etc... in perpetuity.

Hi Steve,

Thank you!

They were $2.00 per plant from the nursery. Is it better
to self sow or to plant them were you want? We have hard
freezing winters around here. Any problem with self sowing
(sprouts all get frozen at lesat once before planting time)?
Can you transplant them? Save the seeds?

My wife and I are still trying to describe how they taste.
Noting really gets it. The closest is delicately sweet
with a non sour citrus zest, and the slightest hint of
honeydew (melon).

-T
Old 03-08-2014, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sunday, August 3, 2014 4:13:57 PM UTC-4, Todd wrote:
[...]

You can save the seeds, transplant the seedlings or whatever. They're pretty hardy. We have hard winters here as well.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 11:55:03 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Harvested and tasted my first Tomatillo ever. ¡Ay, caramba!

How do you get that neat upside-down exclamation point? Need to order a Spanish keyboard, or...?

[..]

HB

Old 05-08-2014, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 08/04/2014 03:13 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Saturday, August 2, 2014 11:55:03 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Harvested and tasted my first Tomatillo ever. ¡Ay, caramba!

How do you get that neat upside-down exclamation point? Need to order a Spanish keyboard, or...?

[..]

HB

Hi Higgs,

I AM SNEAKY!!!!

Actually, I did

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Ay%2C+caramba

and then pasted from the result into a note pad under
"It is spelled". It for things I can not remember how
to spell and the spell checker can't find, such as
"ignominy" and "Quelle surprise!".

-T
Old 05-08-2014, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, August 4, 2014 5:31:03 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:
On 08/04/2014 03:13 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 11:55:03 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:

Hi All,

Harvested and tasted my first Tomatillo ever. �Ay, caramba!

How do you get that neat upside-down exclamation point? Need to order a Spanish keyboard, or...?

Hi Higgs,

I AM SNEAKY!!!!

Actually, I did

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Ay%2C+caramba

and then pasted from the result into a note pad under

"It is spelled". It for things I can not remember how

to spell and the spell checker can't find, such as

"ignominy" and "Quelle surprise!".

I admire your sneakiness -- er -- "enterprise". I never would have thought of that!

I don't use spell checker, being one of a vanishing group of people who can spell. Soon we will all be gone and the world will little note nor long remember what we did here.

Suggestion: If you need to check spelling & your search engine can't handle it (surprised!?) just put what you think into a search engine. It is smart enough to figure out what you want.

HB

Old 05-08-2014, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 08/03/2014 03:10 PM, Steve Peek wrote:
[...]

If I accidentally pick one a little green, will they
ripen on the kitchen counter?

-T
Old 05-08-2014, 02:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson said:
On Saturday, August 2, 2014 11:55:03 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Harvested and tasted my first Tomatillo ever. ¡Ay, caramba!

How do you get that neat upside-down exclamation point? Need to order

a Spanish keyboard, or...?

What I use to message a young gamer-friend in Brasil (using Google
Translate) when I need a special character:

http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/accents/codealt.html

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 05-08-2014, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, August 4, 2014 10:42:48 PM UTC-4, Todd wrote:
[...]

Probably, but try green ones in salsa. That extra bit of tartness is really good. It can take the place of the lime juice.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tuesday, August 5, 2014 6:54:16 AM UTC-7, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Higgs Boson said:

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 11:55:03 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:

How do you get that neat upside-down exclamation point? Need to order

a Spanish keyboard, or...?

What I use to message a young gamer-friend in Brasil (using Google

Translate) when I need a special character:

http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/accents/codealt.html

BLESSINGS!!!! So glad to know about resource!

HB