Old 16-08-2014, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default two garlic questions:

Hi All,

Exciting. Well Exciting for me!

I dug up my first three garlic bulbs from last year's
planting. Got them tied up and hanging in the garage.
They have pretty red wrappers too! And they didn't seem
too mad at me for planting them up-side-down (didn't
know any better at the time).

Questions:

1) how long do I need to leaving them hanging? (I
presume I am drying them out.)

2) how would a save a few cloves for planting
in the fall? (I am afraid they will rot on me
if I leave them out.)

Many thanks,
-T
Old 16-08-2014, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 08/16/2014 12:07 PM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Exciting. Well Exciting for me!

I dug up my first three garlic bulbs from last year's
planting. Got them tied up and hanging in the garage.
They have pretty red wrappers too! And they didn't seem
too mad at me for planting them up-side-down (didn't
know any better at the time).

Questions:

1) how long do I need to leaving them hanging? (I
presume I am drying them out.)

2) how would a save a few cloves for planting
in the fall? (I am afraid they will rot on me
if I leave them out.)

Many thanks,
-T

Not to add too stupid a question, but

3) while they are hanging, can I carefully snap off
a clove or two without hurting the hanging process?
Old 17-08-2014, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

left my garlic "hanging" for two or three weeks

the cloves should not rot by planting time
Old 18-08-2014, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd said:
Hi All,

I dug up my first three garlic bulbs from last year's
planting. Got them tied up and hanging in the garage.

1) how long do I need to leaving them hanging? (I
presume I am drying them out.)

If the stems are dry and the wrappers dry and paper-like,
they are prime for storage.

2) how would a save a few cloves for planting
in the fall? (I am afraid they will rot on me
if I leave them out.)

Keep the whole bulbs in a cool but not damp place with reasonable
air circulation and they should last for months. Any that don't have
good wrappers (that is, the tops of the cloves are poking out)
should be used first as they will dry out or sprout first.

Your garlic should last to fall planting without rotting or sprouting,
and months beyonds.

I would suggest you leave the choicest bulbs intact until planting
time. (Don't eat your seed stock.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 18-08-2014, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

I have only grown garlic two times, so I am no expert so take for what it is
worth

My garlic is stored at room temp keeps for several months.

This year I put some in the basement and will see how long it keeps.

Last year I planted on October 20 and here in central michigan it was
already getting quite cold. Got real cold real fast soon after planting and
the garlic did not sprout so I was worried that I had got it in to late.
The garlic came up in spring and I had no problems. I fertilized in spring
and again early summer and got beautiful garlic.

Last year I fermented 1 quart and it came out quite good.......This year I
am fermenting several quarts and also preserving some in apple cider vinegar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQLXKWR7EB4

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/pre...-cider-vinegar
Old 19-08-2014, 07:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 12:07:36 -0700, Todd wrote:

Hi All,

Exciting. Well Exciting for me!

I dug up my first three garlic bulbs from last year's
planting. Got them tied up and hanging in the garage.
They have pretty red wrappers too! And they didn't seem
too mad at me for planting them up-side-down (didn't
know any better at the time).

Questions:

1) how long do I need to leaving them hanging? (I
presume I am drying them out.)

2) how would a save a few cloves for planting
in the fall? (I am afraid they will rot on me
if I leave them out.)

Many thanks,
-T

1. A couple of weeks ought to do it.

2. I have stored them as full bulbs for a couple of years and planted
them successfully. Keep them dry in between.

?-)

Old 19-08-2014, 05:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 08/18/2014 11:48 PM, josephkk wrote:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 12:07:36 -0700, Todd wrote:

Hi All,

Exciting. Well Exciting for me!

I dug up my first three garlic bulbs from last year's
planting. Got them tied up and hanging in the garage.
They have pretty red wrappers too! And they didn't seem
too mad at me for planting them up-side-down (didn't
know any better at the time).

Questions:

1) how long do I need to leaving them hanging? (I
presume I am drying them out.)

2) how would a save a few cloves for planting
in the fall? (I am afraid they will rot on me
if I leave them out.)

Many thanks,
-T

1. A couple of weeks ought to do it.

2. I have stored them as full bulbs for a couple of years and planted
them successfully. Keep them dry in between.

Do I need to keep them in shadows or in full dark?
Old 21-08-2014, 06:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 09:23:14 -0700, Todd wrote:

[...]

Just don't blast them with full sun. Indoors is just fine.

?-)

Old 21-08-2014, 06:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 08/20/2014 10:06 PM, josephkk wrote:
[...]

Hi Josephkk,

My garage is pretty dark. Thank you!

Man does fresh, organically grown garlic tastes out of
this world!

-T

Old 14-09-2014, 08:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
Man does fresh, organically grown garlic tastes out of
this world!

Is this garlic from starts you've eaten, or did you buy special seed garlic?

There are many different kinds of garlic.

Old 14-09-2014, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 09/14/2014 12:59 PM, Bob F wrote:
Todd wrote:
Man does fresh, organically grown garlic tastes out of
this world!

Is this garlic from starts you've eaten, or did you buy special seed garlic?

There are many different kinds of garlic.

Hi Bob,

This one I bought from the local farm that moved on me.
I saw a basket in their office/store filled with purple
looking garlic. I asked it they were for eating or
growing. They said both. I have no memory of what kind of
garlic they said it was.

Funny thing, some of the clove wrappers came out more red
than purple. Maybe it is the nutrients in the soil.

I am currently growing "Purple Glazer" garlic to try and
reproduce it. But I won't be able to harvest till next
spring. So, now I wait.

Both the two garlics look like this:
http://organicgarlicseedfarm.com/images/03.jpg
-T
Old 15-09-2014, 04:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
[...]

There is a common red-purple organic dye in some vegetables. It is red in
more acid soil conditions and purple in more alkaline soil conditions.

?-)

Old 15-09-2014, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd wrote:
[...]

Hmmmm. So I have acid soil. I wonder what implications that
has. My two eggplant give miniature fruit but my two
tomatillo are starting to over run the garden.

The garlic grown in it really tastes great.
-T
Old 15-09-2014, 07:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
Todd writes:

Hmmmm. So I have acid soil. I wonder what implications that
has.

Beware of white rabbits and hookah smoking caterpillars.

--
Drew Lawson I had planned to be dead by now, but
the schedule slipped, they do that.