Old 05-10-2014, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Is there some proper way to pick parsley?

Hi All,

I have "Italian Parsley" in my tiny garden. It prefers
the shade under my zuke jungle. Whenever I
pick some, it wilts in about two hours. The
organic stuff from the store lasts about two
week in my crisper.

Is there some proper way to pick parsley? Any idea
why mine wilts so fast?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 06-10-2014, 02:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Todd said:
Hi All,

I have "Italian Parsley" in my tiny garden. It prefers
the shade under my zuke jungle. Whenever I
pick some, it wilts in about two hours. The
organic stuff from the store lasts about two
week in my crisper.

Is there some proper way to pick parsley? Any idea
why mine wilts so fast?

Pick it, plunge it into cold water, and then drain. I'm guessing
the stuff in the store has had a rinse/soak at some point after
being cut.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 06-10-2014, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/5/2014 4:57 PM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I have "Italian Parsley" in my tiny garden. It prefers
the shade under my zuke jungle. Whenever I
pick some, it wilts in about two hours. The
organic stuff from the store lasts about two
week in my crisper.

Is there some proper way to pick parsley? Any idea
why mine wilts so fast?

Many thanks,
-T

Isn't that the main driving force for having herbs in the garden: to be
able to pick what you need when you need it? I'd simply snip off what I
need moments before using it it and not worry about what was done to the
stuff in the store to give in an unnaturally long life in the fridge.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/06/2014 06:59 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Todd said:
Hi All,

I have "Italian Parsley" in my tiny garden. It prefers
the shade under my zuke jungle. Whenever I
pick some, it wilts in about two hours. The
organic stuff from the store lasts about two
week in my crisper.

Is there some proper way to pick parsley? Any idea
why mine wilts so fast?

Pick it, plunge it into cold water, and then drain. I'm guessing
the stuff in the store has had a rinse/soak at some point after
being cut.

That explains it. The stuff in the store is always wet.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/06/2014 09:34 AM, John McGaw wrote:
On 10/5/2014 4:57 PM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I have "Italian Parsley" in my tiny garden. It prefers
the shade under my zuke jungle. Whenever I
pick some, it wilts in about two hours. The
organic stuff from the store lasts about two
week in my crisper.

Is there some proper way to pick parsley? Any idea
why mine wilts so fast?

Many thanks,
-T

Isn't that the main driving force for having herbs in the garden: to be
able to pick what you need when you need it? I'd simply snip off what I
need moments before using it it and not worry about what was done to the
stuff in the store to give in an unnaturally long life in the fridge.

Hi John,

You are correct.

I have a black thumb and am ticked whenever I can get ANYTHING
to grow. And, I only have access to the garden at specific
times of the day -- it's complicated. And day or even week
old herbs are far better than store bought herbs.

-T

Old 11-10-2014, 04:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd said:
Hi All,

I have "Italian Parsley" in my tiny garden. It prefers
the shade under my zuke jungle. Whenever I
pick some, it wilts in about two hours. The
organic stuff from the store lasts about two
week in my crisper.

Is there some proper way to pick parsley? Any idea
why mine wilts so fast?

Pick it, plunge it into cold water, and then drain. I'm guessing
the stuff in the store has had a rinse/soak at some point after
being cut.

That explains it. The stuff in the store is always wet.

It is also sold by weight. Be thoughtful about how much water you buy
with it.

?-)

Old 12-10-2014, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Todd said:
Hi All,

I have "Italian Parsley" in my tiny garden. It prefers
the shade under my zuke jungle. Whenever I
pick some, it wilts in about two hours. The
organic stuff from the store lasts about two
week in my crisper.

Is there some proper way to pick parsley? Any idea
why mine wilts so fast?

Pick it, plunge it into cold water, and then drain. I'm guessing
the stuff in the store has had a rinse/soak at some point after
being cut.

That explains it. The stuff in the store is always wet.

It is also sold by weight. Be thoughtful about how much water you buy
with it.

I will give it a shake! :-)