Old 12-04-2020, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Preen/Ground Cover/Bulbs/Weeds!!!!!!

I have killed enough plants to consider myself an expert horticulturists. I plant tulips in my very aggressive wish I didn’t have it ivy. They do extremely well and for the time they bloom are beautiful. Then I plant dahlia but before I do, I clear a eight each circle from the spot I put the new plants. I also run a little stick by the dahlias some to brace them, some so I can identify they coming back the next year so that I can clear the ivy back. Note I am 75 and have little else to do so if you are busy person I would suggest you remove the ivy which is a huge challenge and find a more controllable ground cover.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/12/2020 6:13 AM, wrote:
I have killed enough plants to consider myself an expert
horticulturists. I plant tulips in my very aggressive wish I didn’t
have it ivy. They do extremely well and for the time they bloom are
beautiful. Then I plant dahlia but before I do, I clear a eight each
circle from the spot I put the new plants. I also run a little stick
by the dahlias some to brace them, some so I can identify they coming
back the next year so that I can clear the ivy back. Note I am 75 and
have little else to do so if you are busy person I would suggest you
remove the ivy which is a huge challenge and find a more controllable
ground cover.

I suspect you have Algerian ivy (Hedera canariensis), which can be very
aggressive. English ivy (H. helix) is somewhat more restrained. I have
the latter on a steep slop, mixed with African daisy (Osteospermum
fruticosum) to stabilize the slope. See my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_back.html#hill for details.

For a more level area, dwarf English ivy (Hedera helix 'Hahn's') has not
been a problem in my garden. Yes, it needs trimming once or twice a
year; but I can do that easily with grass shears.

If you do indeed have algerian ivy, I suggest you completely eliminate
it. It is notorious for being a habitat for rats.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

https://www.avg.com