Old 08-05-2005, 06:52 AM
dkra

Default Sudden wilt in tomato plant

x-no-archive: yes

A week ago I transplanted a tomato plant (Hungarian Italian, about 7 weeks
old) into a 7-gal. pot with fresh potting soil. The plant was healthy and
vigorous when it went in. Now it's drooping, even though I've watered it
generously. The plants in adjoining pots (planted at the same time and
under the same conditions) seem to be doing just fine. I've checked the
stem of the plant and it doesn't seem to be cut off below ground (I know
some insects and grubs can do this). Does anyone know what could be the
problem here?

Thanks in advance.

-- dkra
Old 10-05-2005, 01:41 AM
TQ

"dkra" wrote in message
news
x-no-archive: yes

A week ago I transplanted a tomato plant (Hungarian Italian, about 7 weeks
old) into a 7-gal. pot with fresh potting soil. The plant was healthy and
vigorous when it went in. Now it's drooping, even though I've watered it
generously. The plants in adjoining pots (planted at the same time and
under the same conditions) seem to be doing just fine. I've checked the
stem of the plant and it doesn't seem to be cut off below ground (I know
some insects and grubs can do this). Does anyone know what could be the
problem here?

Could be shock from transplanting. You don't say whether it went in the pot
with a good clump of soil on its roots or if it was bare root or if it's
been exposed to strong sun.

Lay off the water until the top inch or two is dry, place the pot in
filtered shade, and hope for the best.

Old 17-05-2005, 04:08 AM
DigitalVinyl

(dkra) wrote:

x-no-archive: yes

A week ago I transplanted a tomato plant (Hungarian Italian, about 7 weeks
old) into a 7-gal. pot with fresh potting soil. The plant was healthy and
vigorous when it went in. Now it's drooping, even though I've watered it
generously. The plants in adjoining pots (planted at the same time and
under the same conditions) seem to be doing just fine. I've checked the
stem of the plant and it doesn't seem to be cut off below ground (I know
some insects and grubs can do this). Does anyone know what could be the
problem here?

Thanks in advance.

-- dkra

Overwatering could be an issue...

Have the nights been too cool? Most Tomatoes like warmer nights, I'm
thinking 50-55 degrees F at night.

Was the seedling grown indoors? If so, did you harden it before
setting it outside? Indoor seedlings aren't used to wind or direct sun
and need a week or two in indirect sun and sheltered slightly from
wind, like on a porch. Seedlings can become sunburned by the sudden
and prolonged full sunlight.

What plants are you comparing it to in other pots? That might
illustrate the conditions that favor those and not tomatoes. If the
others were greens, brassicas and peas I'd guess that the weather was
cool, since they like cool and tomatoes need the warmth.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/

Tomato plants -- sudden death Daniel B. Martin North Carolina 6 20-09-2006 02:12 PM
tomato wilt gritz Edible Gardening 12 01-07-2004 06:02 PM
TOMATO WILT! gritz Plant Science 1 13-06-2003 03:44 PM
tomato plant wilt Sean Gardening 6 12-05-2003 03:44 AM
Tomato wilt/virus??? Ian Mitchell Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:33 AM